Return to Parkrun

Well, having built up my confidence by increasing the distance of my runs I decided to return to Parkrun. At my first Parkrun I set off too fast and ended up walking several parts of the course. This time I had one goal - to run the entire course.

My nerves were in overdrive again, as was my digestive system so I found it very hard going. I overtook a few people and ran most of the race behind a lady who was running with her two dogs. I reckoned that if those tiny 8 legs could keep up the pace for 5k surely I could too. I fell back a little in the final 1k but finished with an official time of 32.59.

Great to have the PB text and email - plenty of room for improvement but at last I have an official non-stop 5k time - yay!

23 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Fab time :) well done

• Thanks. Just pleased to have made it all the way round this time

• That's a good time - well done!

• Cheers!

• Forgot to say. .... Don't think of it as nerves - I tell myself I am "buzzing with adrenaline"

• Yep. I know that's the case but I'm still working on getting my emotions switched from fear and dread to excited anticipation. It will happen over time though

• Google "TED make stress your friend" and there is a great TED talk on coping with stress. I love it :)

• Well done Yvette! Great run and a great PB.

• Thanks old_git

• Oh what a great milestone. Cant wait until I get there. Fantastico

• Keep going ddmm. If I can do it anyone can

• Well done, that's great! I feel a bit like that beforehand too

• Thanks Gludwig. Glad it's not just me who gets anxious before a parkrun

• Brilliant x๐Ÿ˜Š

• Cheers

• Not a bad time either ! Well done.

• Thanks henpen. Any sense of speed was dashed when I saw the fastest runner finish the race as I was just finishing my first lap. He must have skipped a corner or two!

• really well done :D I was upto 12 loved running at parkruns , great atmosphere and such friendly supportive peeps

• The dogs were very helpful!

• That is a great time - especially for a first timer :) Much better than my 40 minutes :) -- although that was Run/walk!! Sounds like you will have lots of improvement ahead of you -- but BEWARE!!! - Parkrun is a trap just lying in wait for the (too) willing.

I am seeing a real increase in injuries at my local Parkrun - among runners far younger and more capable than me. I believe that this is because of an unwritten ethos within Parkrun of trying to beat PB's all the time - like every week. Officially, Parkrun is merely a weekly timed 5K run -- not a race. But many/most are treating it as a weekly race and although they may be fast, they are undertrained!!

• At the moment my aim is to keep going slow at Parkrun - just so I get used to running alongside others without being caught up with their faster pace - unless you look behind you all you see are people speeding ahead of you!

• Great stuff and a good time to go with it, you deserve to feel pleased with yourself, enjoy your achievement. ๐Ÿ˜Š Well done.

• Thanks. Feeling happy here with achieving my non-stop goal

You may also like...