Park & Ride

Park & Ride

Park Run? They lied - Ormskirk Park Run is not in a Park but on the campus of Edge Hill University and is superb. The people are friendly and extremely welcoming and I wasn’t even running - I just rode out there on my motorbike to do a recce before having a go myself next week and take in the course and the people and so forth.

To be honest I should have just joined in there and then but I felt slightly over-dressed in motorcycle leathers and boots. But what a great venue with it’s changing rooms, showers, cafe - oh and it had small hills - where I live is an ‘EU Hill Free Zone’ so that’s quite a novelty.

The admin chap was very helpful and explained the course and time-keeping to me and before everyone set off he even read a piece of inspirational poetry to them. Nothing like a bit of Gerard Manley Hopkins to get one in the mood for running (except perhaps a quick snort of Jack Daniels - the coach not the whiskey of course).

I also bumped into an old friend who is obviously a closet runner! It’s a strange world - you think you know a person and then find out they’ve secretly been doing a few 5K’s on the quiet! Plus I was also able to indulge in my new hobby of ‘trainer spotting’ and saw a pair of Nike Air Max 1 Patta’s (the 2009 model) which I photographed for my collection and will appear in my forthcoming book “Classic Running Shoes and Heart Rate Monitors"

So well done Park Run People - you are a fabulous bunch.

Run On People and to everyone (including Tiny Tim) A Very Happy Christmas :)

13 Replies

• Fabulous Runon! Totally agree Park run and all who sail with her are brilliant.

Happy Christmas to all, and happy running!

M x

• It was raining but not so wet people needed sailing boats :) Have a brilliant Christmas X

• Bet you can't wait to give it a go!

• So True - How did you know I wasn't a very good spectator! Though I did do my fair share of clapping and may take up cheer-leading in another life! :)

• Glad you liked it at Ormskirk. It is my local run. I was not there yesterday as I had family duties to attend to.

Our family will be out there on Xmas Day and next Saturday. I am usually in pink tank and black with pink nb shoes. The atmosphere is lovely there.

Yay for Ormskirk Park Run.

• Yes it's a fabulous atmosphere and so well organised - a very big YAY! I'll look forward to seeing you there - I'll be the one in Motorcycle leathers and boots (or alternatively dark blue with yellow flashes and quite possibly even more new running shoes!) :)

PS I may also have some mountain climbing gear on for the hill - I'm not used to hills!

• My younger daughter is a serious runner and her best at Ormskirk is about 20 minutes. She lives near Southwark Park in London which is flat and her PB there is 18'40 ish. I did her parkrun and knocked 30 seconds off my then Ormskirk PB. The hill does catch people out! I am used to it and do not see it as an obstacle now but it does throw new comers.

• Wow - Your Daughter's time is impressive - mine can seriously out-run me now. I shall look out for the pink nb's :) Perhaps you can pull me up the hill. Was running along the beach this morning - the wind was invigorating to say the least - I am always tempted to run the whole 5K with the wind behind me but my conscience hasn't let me do it yet :))

• Happy Xmas to you too Runon - brilliant post and sounds like a great venue

• And a very happy Christmas to you Getting Fitter - it sure is a great venue - wasted on the young I think! :))

• Sounds great & be even better next time when you're running :d

• Hopefully if the hill isn't too steep :) No - I'm looking forward to it - bit worried about pacing myself - I have a tendency to set off too fast and then find there's no fuel left in the tank but it's all a part of the great learning curve - have a great Christmas :)

• Its so tempting to try and keep up with people - I was following someone at a distance today & thought I'll try and keep them in sight. Soon gave up when I couldn't breathe!!

You may also like...