Awful Run... And Tingly Legs?!

Second post of today... Sorry...

Just got back from the first run of week 8, and it was bl**dy awful. Nearly killed me, had to stop and walk for 20 seconds a couple of times, and a good minute a mile slower than my last one.

I think I got cocky. My last 4 runs, I've been knocking 20/30 seconds off my mile pace in each one, so I started too fast too soon and expected the same to happen. I know speed doesn't matter, but it is annoying.

More importantly, for the last 6/7 minutes I got a really odd numb, tingly feeling in both calves... Its only just fading now. Anyone know what this is or how to stop it?

7 Replies

• If you're doing Couch to 5 k you are supposed to walk for part of the runs, it's what the programme does. Walks and runs

Tingly legs is usual for new runners. I got them and I described them as "electric legs". Almost like electric shocks. They were fine once I got more into the programme and I'm fine now. Make sure you don't overdo things. Have your rest days and do warm ups and cool downs to look after yourself

• I'm on week 8, so I'm not sure I count as a completely new runner- I should probably know better. But I think it was just being a bit cocky...

• When you say tingly do you mean like pins and needles? It's probably your feet swelling up and your trainers being your usual shoe size. You want a running shoe 1/2 size to a full size bigger than usual.

• Yes, just like pins and needles. Maybe that's it- thank you!

• Yes in some of my old trainers my feet would go dead at exactly 40 minutes everytime. It was due to my feet swelling up. I bought a new pair a 1/2 size bigger and stopped having this problem

• I know it seems like a bad run but you still did it. It took me weeks to get through W6 as I changed my route to include a hill. I did each of the 3 different runs 3 times. And so what if you were overconfident. You'll know better next time. Put it down to a learning curve and enjoy the next one.

S X

• Thanks S. You guys all have so much confidence in me, even if I don't! Going out for run 2 tomorrow, so fingers crossed that will be better. Going to start slower and hope for the best.

You may also like...