very cautious restart

I'm one if the folk who's been posting about sore knees. I started in September and got as far as w3r2 when I got a really sore and stiff knee (sort of a pinched pain, not the standard background "growly pain" that I've been getting for years. I also couldn't straighten my leg completely and had to sleep with a pillow under my knee for a couple of nights.) Several trips to doctor and some x-rays later I have discovered:

* I likely damaged a miniscus by "overdoing" it (ie not taking the rest days) This explains the "pinched" pain

* I have moderate osteoarthritis in both knees (explains growly pain)

* my kneecaps are in the wrong place - probably since birth - which makes them more succeptible to damage

So I now have a referral to a podiatrist to get proper insoles (did I say I also have wonky feet), a referral to a physio to get knee strengthening exercises (meantime I'm doing the ones from the NHS site). I am also taking 1000mg of cod liver oil per day. (GP was actually muttering about surgery to try to realign kneecaps, but I don't feel like I'm in enough pain often enough to warrent that !)

Being a stubborn type I want to give it another go. Yesterday I went out and just made sure I can walk for 30 minutes briskly without hurting my knee. My idea is that if I still don't have any pain at the weekend, I will try w1r1 again.

I aggravated things last time round by going out anyway despite a niggly pain. I know better now and will definately observe the rest days. If I have the same problem again despite this, then I'll look for a different exercise regime. I guess I'll also abide by my physio's opinion.

Any comments/advice welcome especially from anyone who has similar knee problems.

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • ask if you can have b12 ,folate,ferratin , iron and vitamin d checked

there is also homocystene to have checked but this is quite expensive

• x-rays are showing a "mechanical" problem in my case - I doubt any vitamins can cause bones to move :-)

• Diagnosing and Treating Vitamin B12 Deficiency a video 51.46 mins please watch this

amazon.co.uk/Could-be-B12-E... an eyeopener

You may also like...