How do you run slower???

Sounds simple in theory but I'm finding it weird to run slower! I've just finished week 7, run 1 was great, run 2 my legs hurt afterwards and I realised I'd ran 4.35km in 25mins! Which sounds fab! Then today at 19 minutes I got a pain down my right leg! I ended up having to do the last 6 mins walking and trying to run a little further! I've tried slowing down, but again tracking my run I seem to have gone faster...even in the heat!! I think I will go back and do week 6 again, don't want to cause a more serious injury and be out of the game for several weeks recovering! Hope I get past this as I am learning to love running and already downloaded a bridge to 10k programme haha!!

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Have you tried running with someone else? I thought I was running slowly, then I ran with someone else and found I had to really slow down (about 50%) otherwise I would have left them standing (and I'm not a great runner!). Only did it once, but since then, I've been able to run much longer distances. I do still find it quite difficult though, as my natural pace seems to be quicker (albeit for shorter distances)

• I haven't no, I have a friend who wants to start running, but our schedules always seem to clash! May have to get something arranged tho and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice :)

• Try to take short steps, so you take as many steps as normal you just don't go as far, and it reduces the effort as well.

• PS...I found running slower quite difficult at first, but it can really help your training schedule.

You may also like...