There's nothing like planning!!

Wow – I cannot believe that I am just 2 weeks away from graduation & if everything goes according to plan, my graduation run will be a 5k fun run in the park on Fathers Day. Lately I have been thinking of what next.. what do I want to do post C25k?

Well, the main thing which worked for me during C25k was the way that this is a very structured plan, specific timed runs, Laura’s encouragement in your ear and then move up to the next level, don’t hesitate and don’t doubt your ability.

So, I have set about putting together my own plan – well more like stringing together other plans to create a program which will not only keep me interested – but also keep me structured and progressing.

Phase1 – (9 weeks) is/was to complete the C25k

Hopefully I will do it!!

Phase2 – (4 weeks) is to train to run for 5k competently …

I will do alternate 5k+ stepping stone & speed sessions for 4 weeks and to start with parkrun so I can get an accurate 5k time. This also sees me doing 4 runs in total per week.

Phase3 – (9 weeks + 2 week summer break) is to build up to 10k.

Is 3 runs per week + park run to keep tabs on timing. Still not decided on which program to follow, the BUPA one looks good, but includes an initial 2 week return to intervals (which I might need or I might regret) & my.asics.co.uk looks to be more personalisable. I also need to do something about podcasts/coaching. But the overall goal is to keep running and to build up by no more than 3mins/week so that I'm running for 50+ mins at the end of it.

Then BUPA Great Yorkshire Run 10k on 29/09 in Sheffield.

Recovery period – (2 weeks) 3x mild pace +parkrun

Phase4 – (6 weeks) is to improve pace

Essentially to keep myself motivated and keep making progress. – but it will be something like 1x35 mins, 1x50 mins, 1xinterval session + park run.

Then AGE UK Abbey 10k Dash on 17/11 in Leeds.

So that is the next 23 weeks planned and with 5 weeks left until Christmas - ooohhhhh Boxing Day 10k!!!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • As you say, nothing quite like planning. Sounds like you have it all sorted! Me? I'm still never quite sure what I want to do even from day to day. I just enter an event that will stretch me, and work towards it. But I agree that a structured approach like yours is much better.

• Just realised the first part of your plan is like mine. Finish c25k, get to 5k, do a parkrun. I haven't yet decided on going for a 10k yet. I might not enjoy running for that long, so I will see how my parkrun treats me, increase the distance gradually, and if I stop enjoy enjoying it, I will work on my pace at 5k instead. I really must go for a "no music, no Laura, run till you feel like stopping" run. Sometimes a lack of plan is good for those of us who love structure.

But later on today, I will be building my spreadsheet.... ;-)

You may also like...