This may help you

I was diagnosed in 2010, though blood tests show that WBC started to increase in 2007, following a car accident. Since diagnoses I changed my diet fairly radically, eating pretty much vegetarian, though also eating fish occasionally. I attribute the slow progress of the disease to that, plus feeling really well, lots of energy and working full time at a demanding job. Had a breast cancer scare last year, read Your Life in Your Hands by Prof Jane Plant, so cut out dairy and followed a lot of the additional advice in her book. I also saw the news on this forum about turmeric, though as it "fights" with green tea extract, I take it for 6 days, day off, then 6 days of green tea. Went to see my consultant this week and remarkably lymphocytes are down, platelets now pretty much normal, red blood cells normal, WBC down from 35 to 32. Consultant is delighted. Go back again in 8 months.

I know people get very upset if they think they have to give up their favourite foods, but I think it is completely worth it, as I feel so well and hopefully it is really having an effect .

Just thought I'd share if anyone else wants to give dairy-free plus taking turmeric a go.

15 Replies

• Sounds worth a try Mandy. Can you tell us which brands/how much use? Did you discuss it with your consultant beforehand? I understand green tea extract can cause liver problems,

• Mandy thank you for your post! As a newbie I am curious as Peggy regarding amounts and brands. There have been wonderful posts regarding green tea and nutrition. The more info the better!

• Hi All

The dosage I've been taking is 1200 mg cur cumin (turmeric) extract (the Supplement Place) and 316mg green tea extract (Nare's Garden). I've taken that for a few years and when my GP checks my liver, it's fine. Forgot to say that on Jane Plant's advice I aldo take 400 mg organic kelp from Nature's Own.

I haven't discussed with my consultant, as my experience is that they are very entrenched in their views.

• Thanks Mandy. Interesting to read about different approaches to helping ourselves. I think that the phrase 'you are what you eat is definitely true in some respects. The anti-inflammatory aspect for sure. Thanks for the post.

• Mandy I totally agree with you. Changes in diet can bring the numbers down fast. I was diagnosed only 6 months ago with WBC on the low end for CLLers at 15 and ALC 6.2. Platlets normal. Looking back at previous results it's been at 15 since 2010. I had no symptoms (apart from hot flashes once or twice during the night which I contributed to monopause or the red wine) at the time until they told me I have slightly enlarged lymph nodes. I was doing yoga, working out at the gym 6 days a week and playing competitive tennis. I felt in the best shape of my life. Go figure. 😕

I changed my diet drastically. Started a raw whole-food plant base diet. Lots and lots of raw fruit and vegetables. Salad dressing lemon/flax oil. Remove all animal products, dairy, meat (including fish), processed foods, sugar, baked goods (flour, sugar & salt ) from my diet. On the rare occasion that I have bread I go gluten free as wheat is inflammatory. Oatmeal to keep the weight stable.

Just had my four month check up. WBC is down within normal range at 10. My ALC is still high at 6. I've lost about 10kg since I started the vegan diet. Also put turmeric in my green juices twice daily. I know I said no dairy but I'm doing the FOCC ( Dr. Budwig protocol cottage cheese /flax oil) daily and wondering if that is what's keeping my ALC high. Even though it's organic fat free it's still dairy🤔It's kind of the +driver to get the -oil through the -cell wall I've been told. Just call me the mad scientist AJ😂

Hope you all have a good day

• Fascinating AJ and what an amazing result. If you haven't read Jane Plant's book, I thoroughly recommend it. She was a scientist and beat breast cancer through her research after she had been given 2 months to live. She shares many of your views.

• FYI , Jane Plant died March 2016.

• Yes, I know, from a blood clot, not cancer.

• I read Jane Plants Book, Your Life in Your Hands and found it to be a little far fetched. I looked to see if there had been any research on breast cancer/dairy and found the following. I don't think soy prouducts are that safe for women with breast cancer, but I could be wrong. Sally

• I use a lot of organic soy milk and tofu for at least a year prior to my diagnoses. Since none. I read that it's one of the most modefide crop right up there next to corn. Cheap to produce and highly processed. You will find some form or the other in just about every pack, can, box in the grocery store. The good soy that the Asians use is the fermented soy like miso soup and nato and not the cheap junk they try to market as "healthy" in the west.

• Scarey. Is organic soya GM as well?

• Well Sally, everyone has their own views and experiences. Jane Plant's book lists all the research and experiments across the world that support her theories, so as a lawyer, I found it compelling evidence.

• Well Mandy, it's true everyone has their own views and experiences. Jane Plant was a professor of Geology and to my knowledge no medical background. Please correct me if I am wrong. She was not a scientist in the field of cancer. I personally don't feel she had the background to tell people how to treat cancer. I will trust the men and women who have devoted their lives to studying cancer and looking for a scientific cure. Also, her dairy free diet didn't prevent sequential recurrences of secondary tumors throughout her body. Could it be her acceptance of surgery, radiation, chemo, drugs, etc. brought her periods of remission?

I feel her books are a bit quackery and pseudoscience. I found no compelling evidence that proved otherwise. When we have cancer/leukemia , we will try about anything in hopes for a cure. There are several books and websites that pray on our vulnerability. If this diet works for you, I am happy for you.

Kindest regards,

• Crickey, my intention was hoping to help other sufferers, not engage in an online argument, so rather than responding to your comments I suggest we agree to disagree and leave it at that.

• I'm definitely going to read it. Thank you Mandy!

You may also like...