Itching !!!

Hello everyone - I wonder if anyone can help me alleviate this horrendous itching-- it is driving me mad --GP prescribed anti allergy tablets and Dermol cream but they don't help !!

I was diagnosed with NASH ( non alcohol stearate hepatitis ) or Fatty Liver Disease three years ago and am being managed on Rifaxamin which helps but I have never had this level of itching before !

22 Replies

oldestnewest
  • i know what your going through i used to scratch till skin bled ,its a kown liver problem you have taught e something today nashin my case nac non alcohol colitis when ask whats wrong with you ,ihave had a transplant over xmas im in my forth week im ok exhausted but best xmas present ever keep fighting eat good diet ,as they say your not alone Dez

• Thank you Dezza- -- I am going to see my GP today and see if there is anything else to try .

I have found that warm showers using non perfumed Sanex helps ( I usually have to get up in the night and shower to relieve the itching )

I hope you have a good recovery after your transplant -- early days yet but many people say that after a few months, they feel better than they have for years😊

• Good luck with your recovery dezza33

• I have been treated for Hepatitis C & Compensated Cirrhosis, I still itch mostly at night I had been prescribed creams but I would have to put so much of it on it was ridiculous. I tried over the counter anti itching products, nothing worked. Finally my Doctor prescribed attarx works great also helps with relaxation a little, good luck

• Hello Didtx

Thank you very much for that advice - I will talk to my GP about it today

Kind regards-- 😊

• I've had the most horrendous itching for years off and on - cholestyramine used to work for me but now I can't bear to use it gives me horrendous painful blockage and headaches - intolerable. I have learnt to manage the itch better although I still shred my skin. I have found strangely that Vicks vapour rub can sometimes help. Try it. Good luck x

• Thank you Wendy -- I would have never of thought of using Vicks!

I will get some today .

Kind regards 🎈

• I also use liniment at times which literally feels like it's burning my skin but it takes the edge off that incessant bloody itch!

• Rifaximin is to treat symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy rather than itching.

Are you still being seen by a hepatologist? and are your bilirubin levels raised causing the pruritus (itching).

In people with PBC (Primary Biliary Cholangitis) they prescribe a medication called URSO (Ursodeoxycholic Acid) to deal with the bile build up and itching - it might be worth asking about.

This needs to be run past your consultant as symptoms could indicate that your liver condition is becoming more severe.

K

• Hello AyrshireK

Thank you for your advice . I know that Refaxamin is unrelated to itching- it has ' managed ' my condition NASH ( non alcohol stearate hepatitis ) for over a year

Seeing my Consultant in March but mean time I have a very good GP who is clued in about liver disease and I am seeing her today and will ask to have some bloods done for comparison to last results - my bilirubin levels vary but always outside ' normal ' parameters.

You seem very knowledgeable regarding the terminology-- is this as a result of researching your illness ?

Kind regards 😊

• Been supporting my hubby with his Cirrhosis / Auto-Immune Hepatitis since 2012 so picked up a lot of information along the journey. Also done a few online courses, read alot and been a member on here since 2012.

• Hi there, I have pbc and the itch was terrible but I take urso , I was also prescribed quesrtan 2 sachets mixed with juice on a night , it's helped me wonders, good luck x

• unfortunately it is something that drives some of us mad.

best advice i can come uo with is to keep as cool as possible. rest can sometimes help a bit i find but that takes a while ... not instant. cazer.

• unfortunately urso did nothing for my itch think questron is a possible though. cazer

• Hi - I had itching for donkey's years - tried numerous creams, lotions, non-soap shower solutions - but always came back again. However, for last six months I have not worn underpants or boxer shorts (except when going to docs or long travel - just in case!!) - and itching has gone - completely. Was almost instantaneous. I generally wear cotton trousers - sometimes jeans. Hope this helps - if you try it.

• Hi I can tell I that I'm going uvblight treatments and I have no more itching and mine was very severe

• I don't post much but I had end stage liver disease decompensated with all the side effects I do mean all of them this was 3 and a half years ago now I'm stable for time being like you all the itching was intolerable scratching till I bled my Doctor referred me to a dermatologist which in turn started. ME on uvblight treatments at ucsf Fresno year amd half ago I go twice a week I now have skin smooth as a baby's butt no joke I also feet year round tan as a perk hope this helps it put my confidence level through the roof

• I know what you're going through, I had terrible itching, especially at night couldn't sleep. My wife bought me Aveeno colloidal oatmeal bath oil, it really helped me.

• Hi papa thank you for the advice -- I will get some and hope it works kind regards 😊

• Have any of u tried filing your nails right down? It won't stop the itch , but, it might reduce the damage to your skin caused by scratching??!!

• Thank you H1ghtower-I do not have long nails and do not appreciate being ' generalised ' I hope you do not ever experience this itching problem - wish you well

• The itching is so severe if you didn't have nails I have even used a FORK! A hairbrush, back scratcher - anything to relieve the itch - which it doesn't - someone who has not experience it cannot understand - it's not 'on' the skin - but rather 'in' the skin!! Literally drives you mad

You may also like...