Bridge to 10K
7,391 members โ€ข 8,897 posts

Blooming Cold at Southsea Parkrun

Hello Everyone, Just to let you know that this morning I ran for all those VRBs whose parkrun was cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. No snow here, just beautiful blue sky and bright sunshine, but with the northerly wind it was jolly cold ๐Ÿฅถ. That could be why there was less than 400 there, after our record numbers of the last month.

I ran with my hat, gloves, winter running top and a fleece and I didnโ€™t feel the need to remove any layers along the way. There was ice where puddles had frozen over so all runners were warned that today was not the day for a PB . Marshals were dispatched to stand next to the worst ice patches and I could hear UpTheStanley shouting โ€œkeep leftโ€ at runners before I saw him in his hi-viz vest.

No amazing PB for me this week because I borrowed a few snails at the start, but I was first in my age range again (32:55) . The parkrun website is down so I canโ€™t check whether I was the only one! I was glad to see the consistent pace with negative splits and despite the cold I really enjoyed the run without music.

So lovely to meet up with Mr and Mrs Coddfish again, after their West Country tourism and admired Mr Coddfishโ€™s new Brooks GTS 19 running shoes . Mine are on order! I think we can definitely call ourselves real runners when we need the 2nd pair of shoes . ๐Ÿ‘Ÿ๐Ÿ‘Ÿ

Have a lovely day everyone and if you canโ€™t get out today, thereโ€™s always the rugby to watch. ๐Ÿ‰ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช

This pic is of a cold Canoe Lake on the way to the run. There are around 40 swans and cygnets there at the moment ๐Ÿฆข๐Ÿฆข๐Ÿฆข๐Ÿฆข

44 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

Well done on braving the cold!

Like you our local parkrun had a handful of frozen puddles near the river and cafรฉ.

1 like

You wouldnโ€™t want to slide in that river Katnap. Much warmer running than volunteering today. UpTheStanley had his thermals on this morning.

1 like

Layers and leggings today!

1 like

I am in the same age group as you and I was (acbetter than usual) 2nd. Canโ€™t check as the site is still down but am guessing it was just you and I!

1 like

You are right Janice, just the 2 of us got out of our beds today. A select group.

Ooh, it looks very much like here Dexy, beautiful blue skies but a vicious cold that a still photo hides. Well done getting out there - I think youโ€™re a proper runner when you donโ€™t think about whether you should do parkrun or not because of the weather, you just do it (I sound more and more like a Nike advert everyday ๐Ÿ˜).

1 like

The me of last year, just on c25k, would never have believed that such a transformation could happen.

1 like

Yes, isnโ€™t it fantastic!!! Well done to you Dexy ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

1 like

Well done to all of us 2018 grads. Itโ€™s been great to be part of such a supportive group. Iโ€™d still be (just?) running 5ks if it wasnโ€™t for folk on here. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

1 like

Yes, itโ€™s been a smashing group of VRBs ๐Ÿ˜€

1 like

Amazing parkrun Dexy5 and it looks gorgeous there.

1 like

Yes, even more gorgeous after the last few grey days.

Super photo. What a lovely day ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

Aw ours was cancelled, 8โ€ of snow, so thanks for getting out there! Thatโ€™s a pretty decent time there Dexy5!!! Iโ€™m taking advantage of the bad weather to have a rest period and let a couple of niggles settle down ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

1 like

An excellent idea Equi-geek. I hope the niggles are little ones. Itโ€™s good to have a running break every now and then and I think 8โ€ of snow is a good excuse. It must look really pretty. Is your horse in stables?

1 like

Hi Dexy5 - only a touch of tendon inflammation in a few places - nothing serious ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘ this winter is the first horseless one for 17 years, so at least I havenโ€™t had to battle through the snow to get to the yard ๐Ÿฅถ and running is curing me of my weather sensitivity ๐Ÿคฃ

1 like

Well done you... too icy here... but 10K done indoors!

That photo is beautiful but it looks really chilly! Bet you can't wait for your new shoes to come!

We are watching the rugby now... I am of Irish Origin... husband is of Scottish origin... he is supporting England right now !!

2 likes

Iโ€™m half welsh so having been brought up with Dad shouting on the old greats JPR Williams etc I am definitely Welsh where rugby is concerned.

2 likes

Barry John!!...Yeay!!

Max Boyce popped into my head๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

Yes I wonder what happened to my dadโ€™s max boyce LPs, so funny.

Gareth Edwards too.

My brother has got my dad's collection of LP's๐Ÿ˜Š

Some odd stuff went onto vinyl In the 70's.

1 like

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Youโ€™re right there.

1 like

Yay for Wales. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ ๐Ÿ‰

1 like

๐Ÿ‘

Yes go you! well done! ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฅถ no running here for the last 2 days more snowball fights and building snowmen โ›„๏ธ โ›„๏ธโ›„๏ธ and probably not much running tomorrow either as the melting snow freezes over tonight ... hopefully Monday ๐Ÿ˜Š

The runs will be waiting for you Bridget, and what fun to enjoy the snow โ„๏ธ โ›„๏ธ โ„๏ธ.

1 like

Nicely done getting out there, I do like virtual running with people and what a fab venue you chose today.

1 like

Thanks Jancanrun. We are very lucky that this our local parkrun, and that itโ€™s the 2nd flattest in the country. I love hearing how everyone is getting on at their parkruns and so nice if we can actually meet some of the VRBs.

1 like

Yes cold but beautiful today Dexy! We had a few icy patches on the tarmac at Lakeside but benefited from the gravel path round the lake and amazingly I managed to improve my PB by 4 seconds (28.26). Not sure it was 'feels like' -5c given the shelter from the M27 embankment, but I did wear my leggings for the first time at parkrun - and 2 pairs of gloves! Nearly managed negative splits, but still go off too fast - must be the adrenaline ๐Ÿ˜€

Glad you got out to enjoy the sunshine JonathanP. Very well done on your PB too There was a definite wind chill on the prom but as it was a northerly we didnโ€™t have to battle against it until the last 500m.

1 like

Beautiful picture Dexy! ๐Ÿ˜

Freezing here too but I still managed to persuade my son to get out there with me. We walked today - I've got a niggly heel and his asthma is playing up in the cold weather - so we had the advantage of wearing our coats, gloves and scarves๐Ÿ˜‚

1 like

Thatโ€™s brilliant that you still took part even though you couldnโ€™t run pianoteacher. All snug too, good plan ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿงค๐Ÿงฃ๐Ÿ‘ข

1 like

Gorgeous picture Dexy and lovely area. Brave winter runners. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

1 like

Well done to you Dexy! Keep up your Parkrun fun! Rather a lot of your images have arrived as rectangles.

I've run wearing a hat twice now. In fact my kindly Garmin gave me a Frosty badge as I ran when the temperature was sub zero! Little thins please little minds! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Ah thank you 61+. My emojis are from the iPhone so they donโ€™t come out on a pc. Sorry about that. Thereโ€™s a rugby ball and national flags and sone swans.

Youโ€™ve discovered something I havenโ€™t on the garmin. Did you set it up to do that?

No, it did it all by itself! When on Garmin Connect on the menu down the far left of the screen the badges icon is third up from the bottom. All a bit silly , but fun!! All the badges 'earnt' so far appear there.

When I complete a run that 'earns' a badge it is displayed to the right of my running route map when I have selected, reports from the main left menu, then chosen running and selected the particular run that I wish to look at.

Let me know what you find. Last week my Garmin was struggling to find its GPS, we were staying with friends. Anyway, my Garmin gave me a badge for being a early riser stating that I had run before 7am! Well we got up at 7.30am, then had a cup of tea and run after that. Great to run with my serious runner friend! We have been friends for 40+ years and she has been running for 10years!

Happy badge hunting to you! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Glad you could run & very generous to do a bit on behalf of us snowed in runners! Our local parkrun in Cirencester was going to celebrating its first anniversary on Saturday so it was a real shame to have to cancel it. Hopefully we'll be celebrating next weekend & I'll have to choose between running & volunteering!

1 like

Thatโ€™s a shame, someone will have to eat a lot of cakes. I bet you have a lot of fun whichever you do. I do both sometimes by sorting tokens after running. ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿง๐Ÿฐ๐ŸŽ‚

1 like

Looks gorgeous and well done for braving the cold ๐Ÿฅถ.

1 like

We were luckier than most Wimborne.

Well done dexy, on behalf of all of us. I'm actually within reach of a few parkruns, every one of which was cancelled. If I could have got out of my road and down the hill. โ›ท๏ธ Also very much supporting the Welsh boys! (Well done boys ๐Ÿ˜Š)

It must have been pretty with all the snow though.

The first half of the game was a bit scary though wasnโ€™t it? ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ ๐Ÿ‰

I've only just got my breathing back to normal ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

1 like

You may also like...