Bridge to 10K
8,591 members β€’ 10,209 posts

How do I do 5k under 30 mins?

Hello everybody. I would like to finally run 5k in 30 minutes.

These days I walk for 5 mins, "run" for 30 mins (I use the stepping stone podcast) and walk again for 5 mins. It totals at 4 kilometres in 40 minutes, which is NOK. I want to run 5k under 30 mins, so obviously I need speed. How do I get there? Any tips, ideas and reccommendations please? I really liked the structure of the programme, Laura being my favourite bi-weekly companion :)

13 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

You learn to run faster by running faster. It sounds like a joke, but it's not. The answer is intervals. Run e.g. 200m fast, then walk or jog slowly for a minute or two, then another 200m fast, and so on. Do this once a week only (it will be hard work, and it's meant to be that. If it doesn't feel hard then you're not going fast enough), and keep the other runs at a nice gentle pace.

You could also look up fartlek, that's a slightly less structured kind of intervals but still very good.

Good luck, and let us know how you're getting on.

6 likes

Some people are everywhere, Tomas!!

1 like

Yup. I noticed we posted almost simultaneously 😊

1 like

the 5K distance is regarded as a "long distance" race - and as such , it is endurance and stamina that gives faster 5K times. Endurance for the 5K comes from running distances longer than 5K - slowly. Stamina comes from running multiple long repeats ( ie 1klm and 1 mile) equal to or a bit faster than 5K pace. Practicing 200 metre intervals gives you the speed to beat somebody across the 5K line in a final sprint. All 3 different things :)

1 like

If you want to run 5K under 30 minutes, you have to average a 6 minute perK pace. To do this you have to practise running 5K+ at that pace . It doesn't have to be a complete 5K - but can be split into segments with a short rest inbetween . Slowly , slowly you build up to that average pace without rests.

2 likes

It's really hard! Be careful! πŸ™‚

1 like

I started using the NHS speed podcast which may help: nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Couch-to...

It's quite short though.

The stamina cast seems quick too, though I don't have a time yet for that as I keep forgetting to hit my Fitbit at the end of the run πŸ˜€

1 like

It has taken me a year to reach that speed. I've been doing a combination of things. Mainly I've been increasing my distances but I have also done hills and intervals- even a bit of strength training. And I have lost some weight. Good luck.

3 likes

Time, patience and perseverance. There's no shortcut. The others have given great advice so just take it and do it and in time you'll get faster.

I got faster when I ran longer distances as it builds stamina but mix it up with running fast (intervals, fartleks). Take care though, gently, as you're still a new runner.

3 likes

Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided to go on like this: I will only switch my Strava on for the 30 minutes of running and try for 4k. I will use my Stepping stone podcast and the other podcast from NHS - "Speed" . That one takes 35 minutes so it should be alright for my level of fitness. I will speed up for short intervals within my run. So my short-term goal (which is what? 2 months?) is 4k in 30 mins. Then I will celebrate and proceed to 5k :)

1 like

for me it was my weight and building up the strength. i did get under 30 mins on my first parkrun only by 5 seconds but i did push it really hard.

three and a half months down the line im a stone and a half lighter and ran my last park run in 23:18, never actually thought i would get under 25 minutes...ever! XD but yea.. defo gained strength in my legs too.

did a slow paced 10k on tuesday, pace that i can easily hold a conversation and felt good the day after. and yea you will just get faster the more miles you rack up.

2 likes

From 29:55 to 23:18 in three and a half month?! Wow, that is amazing. Congratulations mixindave!

gonna hit my limit soon I'm sure. sub 20.. no chance.. future goals? :D

You may also like...