The gradual increase !

Hi everyone. We'll have just come back after doing 6.11k,time was about 40 mins. Some of it I have to confess was power walking up a blooming hill. If only I lived in Norfolk and had longer legs ,oh what joy that would be ha!However I am still enjoying my running and so far have been able to go out running at least three times a week and when on a/l every other day.

My aim now is to increase my km and after reading about increasing each run by 10% I think that,that will be the next step for me.

Today was good and weather was warm with some beautiful breezes! I

Anyhoo! that's it for now,going for a lie down ha!😑

Happy running all!😄😄

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Peggy59 - Sounds like you're doing great! The 10% rule so often mentioned on here is also quite often misunderstood! I assume you are wanting to Bridge from 5 to 10K? Best way to do this using the 10% rule is to start increasing ONE of your three runs a week (turning it in to your weekly long run. (Don't increase all three runs). This long run should be increased by no more than 10% of your weekly total. So, for example if you were running 3 x 5k's a week (total =15k) you could increase your 'long run' by 1.5k, up to 6.5k and so on. Note that you don't have to increase this much if you don't feel ready - it is more of a guide to minimise the risk of injury. You may also choose not to increase mileage every single week - listening to our body's is so important which is why I think this method works well for many as it is flexible too. Apologies if I have just told you what you already know(!) - I wasn't sure from your post! Good luck🙂

• Without wishing to be pedantic, the increase of 10% of weekly total can be applied however you see fit. In your above example, if you were running 3x5k's a week you could increase one run to 6.5k, or you could increase all 3% of your runs to 5.5k. The key is that the overall total does not exceed 10% on a regular basis.

• Absolutely, it was just an example and seems a popular way to progress to 10k.

• Thanks Rignold many many thanks, that seems to be much easier to understand and your not at all pedantic ha!

So I shall be trying that on Saturday as work unfortunately will have to take priority.

Happy running and thanks again !😄😄

• Thank you Sandraj39 that's most helpful😄😄

• I'm doing similar Peggy, but seem to have got stuck at 6.6k. Hey ho. Tomorrow I might try to get up to 7k 😄

• Brill! Let me know how you get on !😄😄

You may also like...