Happy Valentines Day to all running buddies xx

Hope love is in the air for you all especially the love of running!,

I wonder if I can ask advice please, I am training for a half marathon not until October so plenty of time. My current running week involves a speed run on Mondays, about 3/4km, a long run on weds which I'm building by 1/2 to 1km each week depending how legs are feeling, then the park run on Saturdays, between that I do a frisky session of Aqua and half hour of rowing in the gym. I'm a mature bunny at age 56yr keep forgetting that! so am just wanted to check if you feel I'm on the right tracks, I really appreciate your advice and guidance thank you x

4 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • That sounds just about perfect.

I assume your 'speed run' is intervals. Keep the parkrun 5km at a slower pace, it should be your 'recovery' run for the week. And don't ramp up the longer run distance too fast/too soon. Every 6 weeks build in a 'rest' week. Don't cut out running altogether, but go easy on yourself, perhaps parkrun and another gentle 5km run in a new, picturesque location, maybe with a friend.

If you want to be doing more, then daily 20 minutes of squats and stretches should make you invincible.

• Thank you that's very helpful I've never thought of a rest week but that sounds a good idea. Yes I do intervals for the speed run which works ok for me not sure about the squats that sounds like a tough 20mins!

• You are certainly on the right track.

Most people follow a training plan for the Half Marathon which lasts 16-18 weeks in the lead up to the big day. There are lots of them but myasics are very popular.

• Thank you that's encouraging I will definitely look at the myasics plan too

You may also like...