Run 1 Klm - then walk 1 minute

Last year I participated in a 21.1 klm half marathon. I trained for it and ran it using Galloway run/walk method - I guess because I couldn't contemplate running continuously for that distance. But last year, I trained for it at almost anticipated race pace. This year, I decided to follow Galloway's training ideas to the letter and slowed my training runs right down - but the only way I could get down as slow as he recommends was to use very short running intervals. But yesterday,before parkrun, I thought "why am I doing this"? I know that I can easily run a full 5K non-stop at 7 mins per K (actually I have done it once at 6 mins per K) - I also know that I don't want to attempt the HM in a non-stop manner - and I also know that about 7 minutes of running combined with 1 minute of walking results in my HM goal pace of 7:30 per klm. So at parkrun - amongst all the usual excitement and people "going for it" at the start , I pretended to myself that this was the first 5K of 21.1K - and conducted myself accordingly - BUT running to each 1 KLm marker on the course and then stopping to walk for 1 minute. I was supposed to average 7:30 over the 5K - but for some reason I actually averaged 7:05 . I have not as yet examined my Garmin GPS track and I am suspecting that perhaps on this occasion Mr Garmin has made a mistake somewhere along the way and thought that I was running faster that what I actually was or underestimated the distance somehow (will check that up later today ) - but anyway, I felt strong at the end and think now that I will adopt this strategy for the HM next Sunday. When I first started with the idea of "learning" how to run, I only ever wanted to be capable of running for 1 Klm - even then that was a bit of a pipe dream!!! So, running for 1KLm and then having a bit of a rest - but doing it 21 times over, does appeal to me!! :)

3 Replies

• Interesting post, thanks Bazza. On one of my runs, a while ago now, I used an early week from couch to 5k (week 3 possibly) as a warm up, instead of just walking. I did this partly because I always find the first 2/3 k such a puff and wondered if walk/jog would be better preparation for continuous running. I was surprised to find that my pace was about the same, if not a tad faster! But not sure about using this method for a longer distance. Hope it goes well.

• I'm experimenting with something similar over my longer distances (only 10k). And it seems to be working quite well. It saves my strength and I'm actually faster than if I just slog through. It seems to be a perfectly valid method. If it works for you, go for it!

• I agree that following Galloway to the letter can be tedious and even frustrating. I suspect the best way to use his plan is to adapt it to circumstances. I suspect you are experienced enough to know when you need/want to follow his intervals and when (as you recount) you don't.

I don't follow him strictly anymore, but I do find it helpful sometimes when I am having a hard time getting out the door, or I'm particularly tired or the weather is too hot. At the same time, I like to break free of the shackles and just run sometimes, too.

Good luck with your race!

You may also like...