Anxiety Support
33,881 members38,101 posts

Waking up thinking I’m about to choke

Okay, the best way I can describe this is that I would sometimes be waking up from a dream. But in this dream, im put something in my mouth such as a piece of paper or something just as small. And as I am getting up, I have the urge to go to the restroom and drink water out of the faucet because I feel like whatever i put in my mouth is in the back of my throat. But there have been times where I stopped myself and realized that it was just s dream. And sometimes I get up so fast because of the dream I’m having, it’s almost as if I am half asleep. I have been told I have a night terror phobia. Others have said it is anxiety/stress. And it’s not all the time. Any Advice??

1 Reply
oldestnewest

This used to happen to me when I was on Lorazepam. I finally tracked it down to getting saliva in my throat causing a choking feeling and the meds kept me from normally waking up or clearing my throat. I would literally sometimes wake up choking and gasping for air. Once I got off them it hasn't happened anymore. It could happen just from being super tired and your throat just drying out and something keeping you from keeping your mouth closed during sleep to prevent this. Are you on any sleep aids? They may be the cause.

1 like

You may also like...