Anxiety and Depression Support
24,065 members22,570 posts

Drunk with anxiety

Tonight I decided to go out and get drunk with my fiancé. We had a great night and I was relaxed. I didn’t take my medicine because I felt great and was excited that I haven’t had to take it in a few days (I’m on low dose and my doctor said it’s ok). My problem is, I just woke up with my heart racing, and now I’m trying to calm down. I was sleeping. I feel insane. How do you have panic attacks in your sleep?! Am I crazy?

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I'm wondering if the lack of medication and that alcohol is a depressant might be contributing to the panic attacks? Just a thought

2 likes

There is no part of getting drunk that really helped my anxiety. For years I used alcohol to drown the anxious feelings, but it never actually worked.

I need my sobriety to lead a life in emotional control.

2 likes

My first panic attack occurred when I awakened from a nightmare in which I died. So yes, you can have one that begins in your sleep.

1 like

Hi, remember to take your meds, I done the same thing, you think they are doing nothing, then bam it hits you xx

2 likes

Alcohol can trigger my anxiety sometimes. It relaxes me for a while but then on the rebound I get anxiety. That's not always true, and it seems it's happened in some seasons but not in others.

1 like

Ps: during a bad patch of anxiety I stopped drinking alcohol for many months because it did trigger my anxiety after the buzz wore off

1 like

You may also like...