Resurgence of anxiety/panic

Hi all- I am a 28 year old, mother of a toddler and long time sufferer/conquerer of anxiety, and as of about 8 years ago when I tried to go off of medication, panic attacks for the first time. Ever since I have been on Zoloft and didn't have to think twice about anxiety ruling my life. It had truly been a great drug for me! Then when I surprisingly got pregnant with my daughter, I wanted to decrease my dosage to protect her as best I could. I struggled a bit post part and increased my dosage again. After doing some significant work on my gut health over the last year, I decided I wanted to try going off of my Zoloft and weaned down very slowly. Approximately a month ago was the first time in about 12 years that I was medication free, and overall felt pretty good, besides being more emotional. I did not do a good job of keeping up with self care and after deciding to leave my job where lots of toxic energy resides last week, I was overcome with anxiety, followed by panic attacks that I have not been able to get under control. Waiting to get back in to see my psychologist and psychiatrist, but feeling not only like I want to crawl out of my skin but all the feelings of inadequacy, shame and guilt that comes with the stigma of mental health issues. It is good to know I am not alone and I hope that others can benefit from my story as well! Health and healing to you all.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hey there! Welcome to the forum. You'll find a good place to vent here with lots of support. I haven't experienced a panic disorder, but I just want to give you credit for getting the help you need. If you should need a little extra support while you're waiting to meet with your MH professionals, I've had great success with the chat at suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ !

• You are not alone. I am going through anxiety and depression as well. I also feel like crawling out of my skin and I am a single mom of 2 kids. I hope you get in to see your Drs. soon. I am sorry you are feeling this way.

• Hi it does sound like you came off your meds too soon. The general guidelines say that wait until you have been feeling better for at least 6 months before you try coming off them. If they help you then I hope you are back on them but don't forget you won't feel better until they have had time to get into your system again.

I agree there is still a stigma about mental illness but try not to feel ashamed of it as there are many people suffering out there. It's not your fault and doesn't mean there is a weakness in you does it?

You may also like...