Controlling my overeating is a challenge - Anxiety and Depre...

Anxiety and Depression Support
31,088 members32,160 posts

Controlling my overeating is a challenge

This is my first post. I struggle with anxiety and sometimes it gets so bad that depression appears and takes over. Right now I feel like I am in a rollercoaster, I know where I am going and I don't want to go but I can't stop. I am having issues with eating constantly, not sleeping well, and then not functioning well during the day. I have gained a lot of weight in the last 8 years, going from a size 8 to a 14, my health has been affected significantly. I am super busy (back in school) and all my activities are stationary. I will appreciate any suggestions!

5 Replies

You are not alone. I'm in almost exactly the same boat. Weight gain. Panic attacks and now feeling depressed. We will get through it.


Thank you for your words, YES we will get through it! It's nice to be understood. Thank you!


I'm a stress eater and try very hard to monitor what goes into my body daily. I also exercise a bit and vary my activities. It gets boring so I have to mix it up. Are you seeing a therapist? If not, you might want to consider one.


I am not, I really want to see a therapist but it's expensive. Are you seeing a therapist? I wonder how people choose which therapist to go to and what type of therapy to use.

I do well for a few days and then I have a few really bad days... I am not taking any medicine but my cholesterol and sugar levels are high. And then this makes me more anxious!


Most insurance covers therapy. Do you work? Most employers have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) that their employees can tap into and the employer covers the cost for the first (6?) visits. I do see a therapist who specializes in Cognitive & Behavioral Psychology and it was covered first by EAP and now my insurance covers the visits. Just pay a copay. Have you also thought about seeing a nutritionist to get your sugar and cholesterol down? I also have high cholesterol and taking medication for it. Your doctor may be able to prescribe a "statin."


You may also like...