Is this all pcos related?

Can pcos cause sudden anxiety caused by excess oestrogens? 2 years ago I suddenly developed severe crippling anxiety and was put on antidepressants. I noticed that things were bad when estrogen was at its highest levels in my cycle. Was put on the pill which has helped immensely, but I still don't feel right sometimes. I have ocd which has worsened on the pill. And if I go through a stressful time, I feel more stressed than I would usually do. I am thinking of taking metformin to help balance things out as I am IR too. Heard it can help with balancing cortisol, insulin, and help with mood. I feel like the NHS has never really helped me pinpoint the cause of my sudden anxiety. I feel like the pill is just masking the problem. I wonder if the docs can test cortisol levels or progesterone, or would you need to be referred to an endocrinologist to get those tests. Any advice would be most welcome.

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • There is a link between pcos and anxiety/depression

If you are IR you should be on metformin, I am surprised you haven't been given it already. The combined pill generally does mask the symptoms, but from my point of view I don't think that is a bad thing. I have been on Yasmin on and off for 30 years and for me the small risk of being on it is worth it to reduce the pcos symptoms and live a relatively pcos free life!

Have you been referred for therapy for your anxiety?

You may also like...