Hi guys-excuse the long rambling story but I am looking for some opinions as to whether I am losing my marbles or do indeed have a thyroid issue.
I’m a 30 year old female who has up to now been in good health. I have been suffering from extreme reflux since last September. I had gastritis 6 years ago which resolved itself and I was fine since then.
My G.P. conducted a full panel of blood tests. All came back normal except slightly raised TSH which in September came back at 6.02 (range 0.27-4.2).My free t4 was 14 (range 12-22).This was retested in November and TSH was 7.46 and fee T4 14.3.TPO was negative.
I had an endoscopy which was pretty much normal apart from small ulcer but I’m now on 80mg omeprazole/day which has only slightly improved matters and the reflux continues. Around the same time as the reflux started some other symptoms began and as well as feeling rotten due to reflux I noticed I was generally unwell. At my request my GP referred me to an endo who said my symptoms were not thyroid related.
Thyroid was retested around 3 weeks ago and G.P. rang to tell me that the results were pretty much the same (I did ask for the figures but the conversation wandered elsewhere). He has explained that its subclinical yada yada, therefore he does not want to treat and I get this,-in theory.
HOWEVER I am getting a whole range of odd symptoms which the G.P said could not be down to my thyroid as my TSH was not that out of range. So I am beginning to think I am losing my mind and it is all in my head. I am due to see endo again in 2 weeks (as some symptoms have come on since last saw him) and I am going to ask him to give me a trial of thyroxin to see if it resolves anything, not that I think he’ll agree to my suggestion.
In the meantime I’d appreciate your views on my symptoms which include:
1. Later lighter periods for the last 5 months or so when I have always been regular as clockwork;
2. I have noticed that the hair on my legs is beginning to thin out slightly- especially around the knees and near top of shin-I have experimented by not shaving them and though hair grew back it didn’t in all places despite not shaving for 5 weeks! Hair everywhere else is present and correct.
3. I am completely exhausted at the end of most days(although the odd time I have good days).Generally it’s so bad an exhaustion that it makes me feel almost sick and trembling-despite this when I go to sleep I am sleeping very lightly and keep waking up during the night which I never used to. I don’t feel like going out in the evening at weekend anymore, in fact I just would not have the energy which is not like me. It’s like I’m a totally different person.
4. In the last couple of weeks I thought my knees were swelling as the day went on. They are not painful though. Also there are two red almost shiny patches on the inside of each leg at knee level. There is no hair at all there. I asked my mum, who’s a nurse, to have a look and indeed she said they are somewhat swollen-it’s like there’s fluid in there. One of my legs also begins to buzz (that’s the only way I can describe it) in the evening. Are swollen knees a symptom of hypo as I thought it was only eyelids that swelled???
5. My muscles seem very heavy and I have said this repeatedly to my G.P and that I cannot exercise but I feel he is not listening. In the morning I am much better as the day progresses when I go up stairs etc. a heaviness hit me ,like 3 seconds after I’ve reached the top-like I’ve just put down a massive weight and my leg muscles are almost in spasm. Also my back gets tired and slightly sore in lumbar area as day progresses.
6. When my reflux started I started also getting very itchy armpits-embarrassing when at work. This has remained with me although I cannot physically see anything in them and the hair there seems to be growing ok.It’s worse when I am warm, which is not that often as I have always been an incredibly cold person.
7. Finally I have also lost weight like 4-5 kgs, which is odd as if hypo I should gain, but my appetite is not what it was.
I guess I’m just wondering if you guys think this could possible all be thyroid related with TSH only mildly elevated or if anyone has had similar symptoms. I’d appreciate any opinions. Also has anyone persuaded their doc to give trial treatment????