Thyroid UK
90,606 members104,975 posts

Seeing Dr Toft


Looking for advice

I'm seeing Dr A Toft soon. Any advice on what bloods to ask for and questions to ask Hypothyroid for 15+ years. Stopped meds a few months ago. Blood done at GP last week show very high TSH and very low T4 level. Sorry I dont have exact figures though. GP said to restart meds at 100mcg Levothyroxine and 10mcg Liothyronine. Should I put off restarting meds until I've seen Dr Toft to see what my levels are or restart meds beforehand?

Any advice would be appreciated.

8 Replies

How soon is soon? You need to restart Levothyroxine

why did you stop you Levo and Liothyronine? You can be seriously unwell as result. These are replacement hormones not medication.

You are extremely likely to have terribly low vitamin D, folate, ferritin and B12 as direct result. These will need testing and significant supplements before starting on back on Liothyronine

How long since you stopped your Levo and Liothyronine

You probably can't just start back in 100mcg Levo, especially if it's been more than 6 weeks. You will, need to restart at 50mcg and step up in 25mcg steps (retesting at 6 weeks) until TSH is around one and FT4 towards top of range

Do you have Hashimoto's also called autoimmune thyroid disease, diagnosed by high thyroid antibodies?

Ask GP to test vitamin D, folate, ferritin and B12 this week and antibodies if not already done


Thanks for your reply. I should be seeing Dr Toft within the next few weeks. I know I shouldn't have stopped meds but hindsight is a great thing. I just didn't know whether to wait until I saw him or start them again beforehand. I really wanted to know what blood tests to request as GP only does TSH and T4.


There’s little point paying for private testing while you have very high TSH

Though you do need vitamins tested

Medichecks Thyroid plus ultra vitamin

Or Blue Horizon plus eleven

Do all thyroid tests as early as possible in morning and fasting and don’t take any Levo in 24 hours prior to test, delay and take straight after

You need to start back on 50mcg ASAP


Thanks for your reply. I'll look at the vitamin testing. I have private health insurance.


I would let Dr Toft decide what he wants to test and how to treat you. Of course you can tell him your background. He will decide what he wants you to do and take.


Thanks for your reply. I have emailed Dr Toft so hopefully he'll point me in the right direction re meds.



I would resume Levothyroxine and Liothyronine as your GP recommended. If it is six weeks between resuming T4+T3 and your consultation with Dr. Toft you could order a TSH, FT4 and FT3 test. Make sure you leave 8-12 hours between last T3 dose and blood draw.


Thanks for your reply. I have emailed Dr Toft and explained my circumstances and asked what he suggests before I go and see him.


You may also like...