Thyroid UK
91,873 members106,143 posts

Thyroxine and insulin

Thyroxine and insulin

I have noticed lately about Thyroxine and insulin. My pituitary was found in 2004 macroprolactinoma, when I was registered with the endocrinologist was told had low thyroid levels so was gave Thyroxine I was on 200mcg at first then have down over the years to 150mcg. I've also got diabetes 2 at the time and luckily I sorted and got rid of it til about 3 years ago now I take insulin. As well as Thyroxine. Insulin. I take cabergoline for pituitary tumour as couldn't remove it due to my epilepsy take lacosomide, lamotrigine and briviact for this, I also had a amygdalohippocampectomy 9year ago. Take citalopram, cerelle-the pill, polycystic ovaries and have B12 injection and also take vitamin D myself. Wondering if anyone would know if these mix and also if they can be affecting hair?

Thanx Clare

1 Reply
oldestnewest

Clare1971,

If you post recent thyroid results and ranges in a new post members will advise whether you are optimally dosed. If you are undermedicated that can cause hair loss.

For maximum absorption Levothyroxine should be taken with water 1 hour before, or 2 hours after, food and drink, 2 hours away from other medication and supplements, and 4 hours away from calcium, iron, vitamin D supplements, magnesium and oestrogen.

If you want to know whether the drugs you are taking interact Google "Levothyroxine + Cabergoline interaction" etc.

You may also like...