Thyroid UK

Vit D & Ferritin - Are these too low?

I have been on 1 mcg Alphacacidol daily after having a parathyroid gland removed in 2004, I have had some blood tests done an my vit D and ferritin are at the lower end of the range a does anybody know if this could be related?

Vit D 62.9 range is 50 - 250

Ferritin 36 range is 10 - 150

Thank you all for your fantastic help and advice on this forum, it has opened up my eyes to so many things.

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Suesews I don't know if low Vit D and low ferritin are related.

Recommended levels for them are

Vit D - 100-150nmol/L according to the Vit D Council.

Ferritin should be half way through it's range, a minimum of 70 for thyroid hormone to work.

Are you taking Vit D's important cofactors needed when supplementing vitamindcouncil.org/about-v...

1 like

If you parathyroid issues then you must be extremely careful when supplementing vitamin D as the parathyroid glands regulate the body's calcium levels while vitamin D helps with calcium absorption.

In short no one on here can actually give you advice on supplementation of vitamin D as it could end up killing you.

Thanks, that sounds scary!!!

If you had one parathyroid removed you shouldn't need the extra calcium in alfacalcidol as the other three will be functioning well.

You should have your calcium checked to make sure you aren't going to high.

I think my calcium could be a little low? My blood test last week is 2.11mm0/L range is 2.20 - 2.60

You may also like...