Labs eval? Low FT4; FT3 in range

Thank you for looking at my latest labs - please let me know what you see here?

I am on 2.5 grains Naturethroid, which has been working great for about 8 months. But in the last two months I've noticed increased hair shedding and increased fatigue. Is it possible that an increase in my dosage is called for with these results? I have Hashi's.

TSH .14 (.40-4.50)

FT4 .7 (.7-1.8)

FT3 2.9 (2.3-4.2)

RT3 11 (8-25)

Serum Folate 4.6 (low: <3.4; borderline: 3.4-5.4; normal: >5.4)

Total Iron 56 (40-190)

B12 561 (200-1100)

Vit D 35 (30-100)

TPO 28 (<9); TGA <1

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by thyroid conditions by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Lorijr,

Most people taking NDT do well when FT3 is in the upper third of range ie 3.55 - 4.2 so you might want to increase dose to 3 grains and retest after 6-8 weeks.

Folate is low so you might want to supplement folic acid or methylfolate for a few weeks.

B12 is fine.

VitD 35 is low. 40-60ng/ml is optimal so you may want to supplement 5,000iu D3 for 8 weeks and then reduce to 5,000iu alternate days and retest in August. VitD should be taken 4 hours away from NDT.

TPO (Thyroid peroxidase antibodies) are positive for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's). There is no cure for Hashimoto's which causes 90% of hypothyroidism. Treatment is for the low thyroid levels it causes. Many people have found that 100% gluten-free diet is helpful in reducing Hashi flares, symptoms and eventually antibodies.

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

• thank you so much, Clutter!

You may also like...