Feeling bad

Hi ive been hypo for 6 years having regular blood tests. My Dr keeps telling me that results are OK. Recently I've been waking up feeling like I've got a really bad hangover ( I don't drink) does anybody else feel like this? I feel tired all the time, my hair is still coming out, my weight is still going up. I've put on 7 stone and can't shift it, and I'm not a big eater. I'm on 125 levothyroxine. I'm just wondering what people think. Thankyou

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi - you need to request copies of your blood results - ask your GPs receptionist - because what a GP calls ok is not necessarily so. When you have results post them including ranges - they should look something like TSH 3.8 (0.2-4.2), and we will be able to advise.

If you are having blood tests taken they should be as early as possible, fasting having taken nothing but water and with at least 24hrs since last dose of levo. If you can get results also for vit D, vit B12, folate and ferritin. x

• Thankyou. I will book appointment for blood test and will post results x

• I think you may well be underdosed. Forget 'o.k. results'. That doesn't mean we are fighting fit - it means the opposite.

Please get a print-out from the surgery of your most recent results, with the ranges and post for comments.

Weight gain is a clinical symptom as well as many others but because our metabolism is too slow (due to hypo) we can gain weight when levothyroxine isn't optimum.

When you have a blood test it should be the very earliest possible, fasting (you can drink water) and allow 24 hour gap between last dose of levo and the test and take it afterwards. This gives a truer reading that taking it before a blood test.

Doctor should also check B12, Vit D, iron, ferritin and folate and if you've not had a blood test for a while make a new one.

• Thankyou for reply. I will ring surgery tomorrow for blood test appointment and will post results. I've no energy and sometimes feel really weak. I have lots of other symptoms that other people are having on here too. Thankyou x

• Make sure the ranges are stated on your print-out. I am not medically qualified and have hypothyroidism which was undiagnosed.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

• Thankyou I will call Dr's tomorrow x

• If we are on replacement levothyroxine the aim is sufficient dose to relieve all symptoms - not to get the TSH somewhere in range and still have symptoms or even develop more.

• So many GP's in the U.K. are simply useless. I was told by my doctor that I was normal and within range with a TSH of 17.5 and on 25mcg of levo. Fought for three years to get upped dose to 50mcg and it made me feel so much better but I from now will be getting private bloods done and simply buying T4. NHS should be scrapped. How angry I feel over how we are all treated.

You may also like...