Do I need medication?

I had primary hyperparathyroidism last year and as a result had a hemithyroidectomy when I had the parathyroid adenoma removed. I haven't been given any thyroid medication since. The blood tests I have results for are:

Sept 2016 TSH 5.05

Nov 2016 TSH 7.76 and T4 14.9

Mar 2017 TSH 6.7 and T4 13.3

I know they have done some other thyroid blood tests but those are the only ones I have the results of. I know my consultant surgeon felt I was fine as one thing was compensating for another but at the time I didn't understand enough to ask him what he meant. Any suggestions please?

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Welcome to the forum , Mcsquiggen.

Do you have the lab ref ranges for your results? These are often shown as figures in brackets after the results.

• I'm sorry I can't find them. Do the normal ranges vary that much within the uk?

• Mcsquiggen,

Yes, they vary widely across regions. TSH 6.7 will usually be over range which indicates primary hypothyroidism. Without the range I can't tell whether FT4 is low or high. I would ask your consultant or GP to prescribe Levothyroxine if you are symptomatic otherwise you can wait until TSH is >10.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/diagno...

You may also like...