Started Thyroid S. What a difference!

Well, after seeing my gp about my raised TSH levels she wouldn't raise my levo from 200 as she has never prescribed more than 200. I had bought some Thyroid S a while ago as I thought that after 20 years of levo, I thought it would be worth a try as I wasn't feeling great.

Anyway, I'm on my 5th day now of 1 grain and I cannot believe the difference.

By the 3rd day my hands and feet were warm.

I have loads more energy.

I can think clearly for a change.

My dry skin on my face has nearly cleared up.

My dry skin on my hands is visibly better.

I'm now running up stairs instead of walking.

I don't do that noise when I sit down! :-).

I truly cannot believe the difference it has had so far. I am supplementing b12 and vit d at the moment.

At the same time as starting the ndt, I stopped taking my allopurinol. I did this because I wasn't sure if it was the allopurinol that was making me feel awful, but I can always start that again.

Has anyone ever found a link between high Uric acid and under medicated thyroid?

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • V6mikey1,

Your GP's rationale stinks! What would happen if she had never prescribed more than 25mcg Levothyroxine? If she wasn't comfortable prescribing more than 200mcg she ought to have consulted an endocrinologist for advice or referred you to endocrinology.

Are you taking 1 grain Thyroid-S in addition to 200mcg Levothyroxine?

See this link re hyperuricaemia and hypthyroidism ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/117...

• Thanks Clutter. I know it stinks. She's not alone either, another gp is saw a couple of weeks earlier didn't want to up the dose either for exactly the same reason.

I have stopped the levo and went straight onto 1 grain.

Thanks for the link.

• v6mikey1,

1 grain is equivalent to 65mcg Levothyroxine. I think you will start feeling hypothyroid in a few days as the Levothyroxine level in your system decreases. Usual advice is to increase NDT in 1/2 grain increments every 2 weeks while reducing Levothyroxine dose by 50mcg.

I suggest you resume 100 to 125mcg Levothyroxine while you are titrating Thyroid-S.

• Thanks for your reply Clutter, really appreciate it.

I did start to take 100mcg of levo as I did start to feel slightly under medicated, but I also increased my ndt to 1 1/2 grains. Now that it has been a week, I'm now looking to increase to 2 grains. Probably best to half my levo dose now.

• V6mikey1,

I wouldn't increase faster than 1/2 grain every 2 weeks.

thyrophoenix.com/adjusting_...

You may also like...