Thyroid UK
100,833 members114,601 posts

Should I take Selenium?

Hello,

I have Hashimoto's and I am slowly weaning myself towards a gluten free diet.

Can anybody advise if I should also take Selenium? I have heard it can help decrease my antibodies?

Thank you.

7 Replies
oldestnewest

Dotty1340 Selenium is a useful supplement for a hypo patient and especially so if you have Hashi's. It helps with conversion of T4 to T3 and is supposed to help reduce antibodies.

2 likes

Great! Thanks for replying. Would you recommend any particular brand or dose? Thanks.

cytoplan.co.uk/selenium

A nice small tablet, no unpleasant odour like a lot of selenium supplements seem to have, and frequently on 3 for 2 but unfortunately you've just missed that, it ended on 28th February. Usual dose for Hashi's patients is 200mcg, no more.

1 like

Selenium is known to help thyroid function.

An Endo also mentioned this in a lecture for Thyroid Eye Disease at Moorfields Hospital.

2 likes

Thanks for replying. Useful to know.

1 like

Can I jump in here and ask about a brand of Selenium I recently bought....Food State Selenium.

I read somewhere quite a few worrying things about taking Selenium so am yet to start them, I am on 100mg Levo, HRT, Sertraline, Magnesium, Vit D.

My daughter who is only 10 has recently been diagnosed with Hashi's and is not on medication, other than Vit D, I wonder if kids can take it?

If you have any knowledge that may help I'd love to hear it, thank you.

I was started on Selenium nearly 30 years ago when first diagnosed but told I must take Zinc as well as they work together.

1 like

You may also like...