Test Results: Please help! Am I on enough Levothyroxine/medication?

Hello,

I was first diagnosed as hypothyroid 16 years ago. I was on 100mcg of Levothyroxine since 2013 upon the recommendation of an endo, but in March 2016 after a blood test my GP my lowered it back to 75mcg.

March 2016 (100mcg)

Serum TSH 0.05 mIU/L (0.34 - 5.6)

Serum Free T4 14.80 pmol/L (7.5 - 21.1)

GP had me retested in June 2016 and the results were as follows. GP hasn't retested me since.

June 2016 (75mcg)

Serum TSH 1.04 mIU/L (0.34 - 5.6)

Serum Free T4 10.80 pmol/L (7.5 - 21.1)

In October 2016, I did the Genova Diagnostics Serum Thyroid screen which my personal trainer ordered. Results are attached.

October 2016 (75mcg)

Total Thyroxine (T4) 144 nmol/L (58-161)

TSH 2.01 mIU/L (0.40-4.00)

Free Thyroxine (FT4) 17.0 pmol/L (11.5-22.7)

Free T3 (FT3) 4.2 pmol/L (2.8-6.5)

FT4 : FT3 Ratio 4.0 (2.0-4.5) Ratio

Thyroglobulin (TG) 221 <= 40 IU/mL

Peroxidase (TPO) 155 <= 35 IU/mL

Then in November 2016, I went to see a private endo who is also a Professor. He did some blood tests but unlike the other tests they were taken at 6pm:

November 2016 (75mcg)

TSH 1.75 mU/L (0.27 - 4.2)

Free T4 17.4 pmol/L (12 - 22)

Free T3 2.7 (L) pmol/L (3.1 - 6.8)

My symptoms:

Exhausted, unable to concentrate, insomnia, dizziness, impossible to lose weight, heavy periods, muscular aches and pains, skin sensitive to the sun, bleeding gums, brittle nails, thin hair, excessive thirst, needing to go to the loo a lot, feeling cold at night and then feeling too hot, the list goes on!

I don't know how to interpret these results. It also doesn't help that they are all in different measures. I've read so many posts but nothing goes into my head. The private London Professor endo thinks I may need T3 at some point. Some people here talk about NDT. I'm very confused. I can't seem to concentrate or understand anything and as a result I've now lost my job. I'd appreciate any guidance as I'm going to see my GP tomorrow. Please help.

Last edited by

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Serendipitous,

FT3 is below range which is why you are symptomatic. Liothyronine (T3) added to your 75mcg Levothyroxine would be helpful now but your GP may need a recommendation from a NHS endo before prescribing. In the meantime GP could increase Levothyroxine to 100mcg to raise FT4 and FT3. If you want to consider self medicating T3 send me a PM or write a new post asking for T3 sources to be sent to you by PM.

• Clutter,

If I do need to supplement with T3 won't the NHS refuse to do that? Aren't they withdrawing T3? I also wonder if its worth going back to the Professor in London privately although it will cost me a lot of money as I don't have private medical insurance anymore.

I could ask the GP to refer me to the Professor under the NHS but she probably won't agree to a specific referral. I'll send you a PM thanks.

• Serendipitious,

Some CCGs have banned prescribing of T3 but it's not a NHS wide ban. If your GP or CCG won't prescribe T3 you can buy it online without prescription.

You may also like...