Normal thyroid levels

Can anyone help with these results.

My husband had thyroid bloods tested , he is unmedicated but because he falls asleep a lot I suggested he got the test. Blue horizon was used.

TSH. 1.84. (0.27-4-20)

T4 total. 78.5. (64.5-142.0

FT4. 14.28. (12-22)

FT3. 4.76. (3.1-6.8)

Wondered if anyone would post thoughts on the T4 and T3. They seem quite low to me. But I know very little 😐

15 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Gcart. I wondered why you thought it was a thyroid problem ( I'm not saying it's not).

A lot of folk only feel well when the tsh is below 1. The FT3 should be 25% of the T4, so that looks fine from that point of view. Has the GP done any tests - just to compare, as results can change over a few weeks.

By "falls asleep a lot" do you mean suddenly without warning? That could be narcolepsy.

• GCart,

The results are euthyroid (normal). FT4 and FT3 are normal for someone not on replacement. There's no sign of thyroid dysfunction.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Has your husband had his iron (both haemoglobin and ferritin), vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels tested? If not those should be tested. Lots of people with normal thyroid function have issues with their vitamin and mineral levels and those are the most common ones that are deficient.

• gw> ... only feel well when the tsh is below 1

That is WHEN MEDICATED. In US average TSH was 1.5 ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/118...

(DIY measurement is basal temperature)

• Are there pauses of 10 or more seconds in his breathing when he's asleep? This would suggest sleep apnoea.

• Thank you all for getting back, will take advice about minerals and vitamins and get them tested privately. I was just clutching at straws ! Just thought it might rule it in or out.

• An important article about sleep apnoea and trips to the bathroom...

doctorstevenpark.com/too-ma...

• I have been diagnosed with Idopathic Hypersomnia because I fall asleep a lot, have difficultly waking in the morning, am often drowsy (excessive daytime sleepiness), and sometimes experience sleep paralysis: it's like narcolepsy but without cataplexy. These are considered CNS disorders. The neurologist thinks it is a different problem to my auto-immune hypo-thyroidism; sleep apnoea was ruled out and they couldn't find single reason for my symptoms, hence the idiopathic. Not wishing to over-alarm you but I know others who have been diagnosed with hypersomnia/apnoea when serious medical causes have been overlooked (e.g. hidden tumours). So, I think it is certainly something that is worth having checked out - perhaps ask GP for a referral to the nearest sleep clinic (I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne and saw Dr Kirstie Anderson). However, there's no cure and the treatment is Modafinil which I hate although it can keep me going at work when symptoms get awful. Happy to discuss further by PM if you want.

• Normal blood tests do not mean that there is not a thyroid issue. Measuring basal temperature, taken first thing in the morning while still in bed can be a useful indicator.

• Hi Sandy, can I hear more about this please?

• Broda O. Barnes MD, Ph.D. in the USA was a pioneer in this. In his books, Barnes argued that hypothyroidism affected more than 40% of the American population, eight times higher than the prevalence of approximately 5% reported in the medical literature. Barnes believed that many common diseases, including heart disease, cancer, depression, arthritis, diabetes, the common cold, tonsillitis, ear infections, apparent laziness in children, various menstrual disorders and skin disorders, were all caused or exacerbated by hypothyroidism.

• Many thanks! How can someone measure their basal temperature?

• The Basal (at rest) Temperature Test was first described by Dr Broda Barnes in 1942 in The Journal of the American Medical Association. He had noted that, when screening patients prior to testing them for the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), their temperatures were consistently lower when the results of the test showed the lowered metabolism of hypothyroidism. The BMR test involves the resting patient having their oxygen consumption and heat output being carefully measured over a time interval. It became clear that the relationship between low BMR and low body temperature was so consistent, that the temperature under basal conditions alone was sufficient to make the diagnosis.

This test can be valuable in the diagnosis of thyroid problems. It should be used as part of an overall appraisal, where the history of the illness and symptoms are considered as a whole. Where thyroid blood tests are normal, the basal temperature may point clearly to the true diagnosis as there are few causes other than hypothyroidism which produce a consistent low basal temperature. These include malnutrition (or crash dieting), alcoholism and liver failure.

To do a basal temperature test, it should be done as soon as you wake up and before you get out of bed. In women who are menstruating, their body temperature varies with the cycle; creating errors which can be avoided if the basal temperature is taken on days 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the cycle.

It doesn't really matter which kind of thermometer you use when doing the basal temperature test, although it is important to be consistent in how you do it.

1) Note the reading, and do it for several mornings so the results can be averaged out, since they may vary slightly day by day.

2) If you have taken your temperature under the tongue, the normal temperature is 36.5ºC to 37.2ºC (97.7ºF to 99.0ºF)

If your temperature is below 36.5ºC (97.7ºF), hypothyroidism/ISTH should be considered if symptoms are present.

If your temperature is above 37.4ºC (99.2ºF), hyperthyroidism is possible if symptoms are present and if there is no other illness present to cause a fever.

This test is a guide only as some temperature variations could be due to infection, virus, etc. This test should be used in conjunction with the signs and symptoms.

• This is fantastic! Thank you!

• Thank you for all your comments. Some things to explore. X

You may also like...