Help with results regarding thyroid problems

Ok guys I now have my test results for you to see any advice would be most helpful

Many thanks

Ferritin 31 (11 - 200 )

Vit D serum 25 Something else 65.6

Advised over 50 is good ..

Vit B12 411 ( + 140 )

Magnesium .99. (.70 - 1.00 )

Folate 4 ( -20)

I'm presuming these look ok and maybe ferritin needs increasing ?

Any advice would be helpful

Jane x

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Janey130

Ferritin needs to be at least 70, preferably 100+. You need an iron supplement and with each dose take 1000mcg Vit C to aid absorption and help prevent constipation. Take iron 4 hours away from thyroid meds.

B12 at 411 is too low. Anything less than 500 and there is a risk of neurological problems. The Pernicious Anaemia Society recommends 1000. You should supplement with Solgar or Jarrows sublingual methylcobalamin lozenges, 5000mcg to start and then reduce to 1000mcg as a maintenance dose. When taking B12 we also need a B Complex to balance the B Vits.

Folate at 4 is poor. This needs to be half way through range. The B Complex will help raise folate level. Thorne Basic B or Jarrows B Right both contain 400mcg methylfolate which should do the job. Also leafy green veg contain folate.

Take B vits in the morning as they are stimulating and you don't need that later in the day as it may affect sleep.

Vit D is difficult to say. If it's Total Vit D (D3+D2) then 25 is poor. But I don't know what you mean by 'something else 65.6'. Whatever it is, the aim is for 100+ so it looks like you need to supplement. It's difficult to suggest a dose unless the actual figure is known. When taking D3 it's necessary to take K2-MK7 as Vit D aids absorption of calcium and K2 directs the calcium to bones and teeth rather than arteries and soft tissues. Take Vit D at a different time of day to K2 and both need to be taken with some dietary fat.

• thank you for your advice with regards to the Vit D i think the actual reading was 65.6 the receptionist was rather vague. i will call and get a copy posted to me to be on the safe side... Do you think the b12 would benefit from the b12injections ? i did have these many moons ago when i was first treated for thyroid.....

• Janey130 A B12 of 411 wont be low enough for injections from your GP. I'm not sure how low it has to be but I think it's either right at the bottom or under range. The supplements suggested will help though.

If your Vit D was 65.6 then there's still a way to go. You could supplement with something like 5000iu alternate days, or if you get a lower dose maybe 2000iu daily. Don't forget the K2-MK7 on the days you take Vit D.

You may also like...