Optimizing B12, ferritin, folate ,D3 etc

Dear All,

I posted recently about flu and changes in my thyroid medication - currently on 100mg Levo and waiting to test in early August. I forgot to mention my vitamin levels which I think look low. Thoughts?

Vit B12 452 ng/L [>140ng/L] tested 21 June - concerned that this is suboptimal. Taking B complex with 10mg B12. About to start 1000mg sublingual methylcobalamin as well.

Vit D 44.8 nmol/L [>50.00nmol/L] tested 9 May

Folate 11.9 ug/L [>4.00ug/L] tested 21 June

Serum ferritin 71 ug/L (24-250) tested 11 April

Thank you.

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Jwestaway,

1,000mcg methylcobalamin should boost your B12 high in range. Take it with a B Complex vitamin which will boost the other B vits. Folate is good but there is folic acid or folate in B Complex.

VitD is optimal 75-200 nmol/L but most people are fine around 100. I would supplement 5,000iu D3 daily for 8 weeks and then reduce to 5,000iu alternate days. Retest in 6 months and take vitD 4 hours away from thyroid medication.

Ferritin 71 is adequate, halfway through range is optimal. You could supplement iron and 1000mg vitamin C to boost levels but should retest in 6 months as too much iron is bad for you. Take iron 4 hours away from thyroid meds.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thank you Clutter.

My current B complex has folic acid rather than folate - is folate better? Why?

Currently on 1000iu of D3 but its a cheap one - does D3 cause sleeplessness in anyone?

Will look at taking low dose iron supplement.

Best regards.

• healthunlocked.com/search/m...

Discussions in the above link about Folate or Folic Acid that have taken place on this forum. The latter is synthetic and the former natural .....

• Jwestaway,

I don't agree folate is better. Some people don't tolerate folic acid and will do better with methylfolate but some don't do well on methylfolate and are better on folic acid.

I was fine on folic acid to correct folate deficiency and am fine with folic acid in my B Complex vitamin.

I've read that D3 can cause sleeplessness which is why some people recommend it is taken during the morning. Make sure you take it with fat, a buttered toast or cracker is fine, as fat aids absorption.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Dear Clutter,

When you say 'boost your B12 high in range' do you mean around 1000 on a scale 500-1300? Is there any advantage in going higher with the B12 dosage initially (2000mcg?) Also, I believe it can affect sleep if taken late? If I take it in the morning do I need to take it a certain amount of hours after thyroxine meds like iron?

Thank you.

• Jwestaway,

There's no harm in supplementing 2,000mcg but I'm not sure there is any advantage. B12 taken late doesn't affect my sleep but some people say it disturbs theirs. If you are taking a sublingual lozenge or spray you don't need to take it away fro Levothyroxine.

• Many thanks Clutter, greatly appreciated.

You may also like...