Can I take thyroxine & prednisolone ?

Hi everyone,

Just been to Dr and I was prescribed Prednisolone as my asthma has been playing up? Has anyone else used both of these together?

I've been told to take all 8 prednisolone tablets in the morning but I also take my thyroxine in the morning also,it states in the instructions that I should check with my Dr if I have an underactive thyroid(WHY?) but HE GAVE THEM to me.I would greatly appreciate any feed back.

Thanx x

4 Replies

• Suzzieboo,

You may find that taking Prednisolone reduces your TSH. Take Levothyroxine 4 hours away from Prednisolone or switch to taking your Levothyroxine at bedtime.

• Thanx Clutter

I take a calcium vitamin supplements at night as they are known to interfere with thyroxine also.

I will have a jiggle around see if I can take them 4 hourly x

• I was completley stable on my 50 mg's of Levo, felt absolutely tickety boo for my first 18 months after hypo diagnosis.

Went on holiday, caught a nasty nasty virus that ended in me having to take 6 Pred for 7 days. Cleared the virus complications, but I have NEVER felt right since (9 months). Brain fog, lightheaded, constant pins and needles, tingling, tinnitus, and on and on!! I can't prove it, but I'm convinced the Pred had something to do with it. I've not yet managed to get my TSH and T4 back in the range where I felt well despite numerous blood tests and dosage changes.

Be cautious is my advice. If you can avoid using Pred then do!

• Thanx for the advise Kyoto49

Unfortunately I've picked up a nasty chest infection which I ended up having to have a chest X-ray & ECG just incase it was something worse.I have noticed my tummy is abit crampy & headaches have increased,however my chest does seem to be on the mend after just 2days!

Like you I too have fuzzy head(brain fog) but I can't blame the pred as I've had it now 17yrs.

Thank you you take care X

You may also like...