Off Levo (150mcg)

My new endo has after discussion, taken me off Levo which was at 150mcg daily and given me a daily total of 10mcg T3 split twice per day for 3 weeks. When I approached my surgery for a prescription, after 4 days of wrangling and a visit to the surgery on an emergency appt I am told it's a Double red?!! They can't prescribe it without the endo completing a form and declaring why he's prescribed it in triplicate. It's not green kryptonite - or is it? I am feeling slightly better (no change at all on increasing levels of Levo). So had a tortuous day contacting my endo, who settled for 7 more days prescription plus a blood test and a chat when he has those results. Is this a monetary issue - postcode lottery - or am I 'scoring heroine'?

Is 3 weeks enough of an indicator? Should I be taking Levo too? What's the best way forward please?

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It is mainly monetary I believe. The supplier has increased the price from around 29 a month to £250 (approx). In some countries it can be bought for around £s in single figures.

Also more patients are asking for it to be added to levothyroxine and many feel a benefit.

You were taking 150mcg of levo but your Endo has given you 20mcg a day! That is equal to around 60 to 75mcg of levo.

With such a small dose I'd take it once daily so your receptor cells receive the active hormone they need. I don't think Endos really understand the action of the T3 in our bodies. It is absorbed quickly (not like levo) but it's effect when on a proper dose lasts between 1 and 3 days.

Sometimes when the dose of T3 is low it might be beneficial to add it to a reduced T4, usually about 50mcg for 10mcg T3.

"I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions"

• Thanks for your help and advice.

You may also like...