Afternoon guys about 9:45am this morning I started coughing then choking loads 1st time in several months but all I brought up is thick brown/yellow/green phlegm & clear/white saliva thats all keep coughing up I don't feel sick at all everytime I choke but my throat gets all tight n sweaty to anyone know what's up with me cos I been doctors few times n they said its to do with stress but I don't feel stressed & thru said its not throat/lung cancer so any idea's what it is as I've like this nearly 2years now?

4 Replies

• James185, sounds like you may have a chest infection if you're coughing up phlegm. I would ask your pharmacist to recommend a cough mixture with expectorant.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Have you tried using a steam inhalant at nightime to help loosen this congestion? It does sound like a chest infection, has the doctor listened to your chest with a stethoscope? Are you at all wheezy with this, could it be asthma? Or as Clutter suggests an expectorant cough mixture might help. Best wishes MariLiz

• One thing that works well to help thin mucous and make it easier to cough up is

N-acetyl-cysteine, which has multiple names - acetylcysteine, N-acetylcysteine, acetyl-cysteine, and is also referred to as NAC.

It's a supplement that can be bought without a prescription. The usual capsule size is 600mg. Take 1 - 2 per day. Hospitals use it in a mist form for breathing in, but over the counter it is a capsule or loose powder.

NAC doesn't work immediately it usually takes 2 - 3 days for gunge to start shifting, but if you've been clogged up for ages it is worth the wait. I only take NAC when I need it, I don't use it as a daily supplement. Usually I take it for a couple of weeks then stop.

NAC can sometimes smell quite bad. The Holland & Barrett ones are particularly bad for this. Open the bottle and let it air for a while. I've bought Swanson brand and that hardly smells at all. Shop around because the prices vary enormously!

• Cut out dairy for a while and see if that helps.

You may also like...