Where to get Armour with private prescription?

Hi, my gp has agreed to give me a private prescription for Armour but I don't know where to start looking? Took it to my local pharmacy and waiting on them getting back to me with costs. What cost am I looking at here? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks x

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sorry, I don't know where to buy armour. However, would really like to know how you managed to persuade your GP to prescribe it for you? I have asked in the past but was told it could not be done and that there was no science to support its use!

• I've been on Levo for 19 years, T3 & T4 for over 6 months and symptoms just getting worse. Went to a private endo and all bloods came back 'normal' so I asked him about Armour & he said he has a few patients who have tried it & is made a great difference to them so I was armed with that... He was reluctant but I basically told him it's my last hope of feeling normal so he's willing to give it a try x

• Thank you so much for replying! I have been on T4 for 7 yrs and although dosage has been tweaked several times, I don't really feel like I used to feel prior to my meds/diagnosis. Have experienced lots of hair loss, tiredness, fuzzy headed feeling etc etc as well as low body temp ( even when I know I'm fighting an infection like bad flu). I asked my GP ( and a previous Endo) for natural thyroid prep but was made to feel foolish for even asking! I'd be v grateful to hear how/where you consulted your present Endo. Good luck with locating your Armour prep. Xx

• I'm in Glasgow so went to BMI Ross Hall hospital. To be honest all he done was a load of bloods that the gp could've/should've done then sent me back with the view of asking for Armour. If you feel that bad go back and ask for a private prescription to trial it and take it from there. Don't take no for an answer x

• Thank you :) I'll make appointment with GP first and do as you advise. I really hope you have luck with the Armour too. Xx

• Go to the main Thyroid UK website - there is a list of pharmacies that are experienced in dealing with NDT prescriptions.

• Thanks for all the replies. My local pharmacy got back to me with a cost for 60 day supply - over £200. Cannot afford this 😢 Went onto website where it but I'm unsure if that's per tablet or per bottle of 100 as it won't allow me to add more than 1 to my basket. Do you happen to have any experience? X

(edited by Admin)

• Did you call any of the recommended UK pharmacies? - it will be much much cheaper than that to fill a private script.

If you are actually talking about buying it without a script, then you'll need to work out what the website is actually offering you, contact them if it isn't clear

• This may be helpful:

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/treatm...

• Thanks for all the replies. My local pharmacy got back to me with a cost for 60 day supply - over £200. Cannot afford this 😢 Went onto one recommended website where it says £1.20 but I'm unsure if that's per tablet or per bottle of 100 as it won't allow me to add more than 1 to my basket. Do you happen to have any experience? X

You may also like...