Test results - advice requested

Test results. Any advice please?

I have been on 1.5 grains Nature Throid for 5 weeks when blood drawn. Previously I raised 0.5 every 7 weeks.

TSH 0.02 (0.4-4.9) noted below range

FT3 6.0 (2.6-5.7) noted above range

FT4 13.2 (9.0-19.0)

I feel better in myself than before starting (maybe 65% of old self).

My endo is treating my 'goitre' as my TSH never got above 2.2 but I was off work for 6 months with pain, fatigue, feeling freezing and poor cognitive function.

I was anticipating needing to raise another 0.5 to 2 grains, as although I feel a lot better, I don't feel really well (episodes of headaches, episodes of worse pain and still so fatigued compared to how I used to be, that I still work short days and I cannot do much at the weekends). My biggest problem is still pain and fatigue.

But these results have me wondering.... am I pooling? What can I do to get hep with this?

Adrenals were 3 v lows and a low 6 months ago on a saliva test, and I feel they are healing with ACE and herbs, and am taking my 3rd course of iron to raise my ferritin, but it just keeps dropping.

I have some LDN on stand by for the pain.

Any other ideas?

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Ariel1973, FT3 is slightly over range so you shouldn't raise dose. Symptoms can lag behind good biochemistry by a couple of months so hang on at 1.5 grains for now and let it metabolise.

Musculoskeletal pain, fatigue and low mood can be due to low/deficient ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate which are common in hypothyroid patients. Ask your GP to test and post the results and ranges in a new question for advice.

How low is your ferritin and what are you supplementing?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• My ferritin was 42 at the last count (up from 24 previously after 2 rounds of iron - ferrous fumarate) and I am nearly finished the third course. It just doesn't stay up though - after each course, I have a period and it drops by 12 points! I was planning to try a beef liver supplement that others have recommended on amazon for ferritin.

My other suspects from May this year: vit D was 47.5 and I supplement daily with Vit D and K2 combo, B12 was 537, folate 8.4 which I was told were ok.

I will hold my NDT and monitor - have had occasional flutters in heart beat and if that gets any worse, I will probably drop a half grain.

• Ariel1973, ferritin 42 is too low. Keep taking Ferrous Fumarate until ferritin is >100. Take each tablet with 500mg-1,000mg vitamin C to aid absorption and minimise constipation. If ferritin drops when you stop supplementing you need to ontinue supplementing a daily maintenance dose.

VitD 47.5 was low, 75-200 is optimal, most are happy around 100. B12 and folate look okay.

If you do decide to reduce dose try 1/4 grain increments. A small tweak can be all that's required.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Ariel, how long did you leave between your last dose and the blood test? Was it a fasting test done early in the morning?

You may also like...