Straight in with 100mcg dose of T4!

Hi All

Had my telephone consult with the endo, blood test results are in after not taking any T3 since my last 50mcg dose 12/11/15 at 10pm. She confirms the diagnosis of hypothyroid (how nice of her!!)

Levels are

TSH 8.7 (0.34-4.6)

T4 <3.20 (7.5-21.1)

T3 3.1 (3.8-6.8)

She wants me to stay off the self medicated T3 and start T4 at a dose of 100mcg per day. To retest in 6 weeks with a phone consult one week later.

So I come off the phone and forgot to ask if I titrate or take 100mcg in one go per day? Has anyone else ever started with a high dose?

In the meantime, I have my pack from Regenrus for the DIO2 test which will be done today, and the results back hopefully by the time I get to talk to her again. If it shows I have an issue with conversion I'm going to request I'm placed on T3 also.

Little bit worried about taking the T4 to be honest, I'm about to start a new part time job at the end of the month and whence last on T4 the side effects were horrendous, if anyone has any suggestions how to mitigate these I would be very grateful.

Also good news was that I am NOT pre-menopausal! <--I have no idea why I find that good news.

Thanks All

6 Replies

• Endos and their insistence on Levo T4 without considering D102 or levels of

vit d3

is totally scandalous

• Hi reallyfedup123

Thanks for the reply, VIT D result not back yet, possibly next week so can pop to GP to glean that info.

Last bloods done via Blue Horizon September 24th shows:

CRP 1.50 <3.0 mg/L

Ferritin 78.5 20 - 150 ug/L

Vitamin B12 H 732 Deficient <140 pmol/L

Insufficient 140 - 250

Consider reducing dose >725

Serum Folate 13.82 10.4 - 42.4 nmol/L

I take daily:

Iron Bisglycinate 25mg

Vit C Sow release 500mcg (as I loathe the chewy ones)

Vit D 25ug

Vit B Jarrows Methyl 5000mg twice a week to maintain

Zinc 15mg

Vit B Complex:

B1 1.1mg

B2 1.4mg

B6 1.4mg

Boitin 50ug

Folic Acid 200ug

Niacin 16mg

Plus Betaine HCL 648mg with 150mg Pepsin when having a protein heavy meal, seems to work.

• You can start straight off with 100mcg of levo as you've been taking 50mcg of T3 which is equal to around 150 to 200mcg of levo.

• Thank you Shaws, much appreciated ☺

• I was started on 100mcg of Levo by my endocrinologist. My GP was horrified, and told me I'd have all kinds of symptoms, racing heart, shakiness, unable to sleep! None of that happened, I just felt better than I had in ages. Actually managed to stay awake to see all of a TV program, instead of falling asleep part way through.

That was fifteen years ago, and I'm now trialling adding in some T3. Good luck with everything MariLiz

• Thank You Mariliz, I'm due to see GP tomorrow, hopefully they will have the script ready. For the past couple of days I've been taking 50mcg as I had some spare. Mood Swings are the worst, but Pulse and Temp holding steady. All the best :-) KT

You may also like...