A friend of mine been taking 50 mcg of levothyroxin for 9 years. Her Gp said to her in December that she was being overdosed and did not need to take levothyroxin anymore. She had recently being experiencing shock like symptoms in her head and all muscles twitching. So she then took 50 mcg on alternative days. On the day she did not take Levo she did not have these symptoms but on the day she took levo she had the symptoms. She then just stopped taking levo on GP's request. She has been off the levo now for 6 weeks and says she feels really well, infact better than she has ever felt. She does not know what bloods were tested and she is having another blood test at the end of feb. I asked her to get her FT4 and FT3 tested along with TSH and to get a print out of results.
I have always thought it would be pretty dangerous to stop taking levo. I hope I am wrong and that my friend will continue being well.
I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.