Water Retention?

Morning all

I've been on the new t3 (mercury pharma) since tuesday of last week. They are only 20mcg per tablet so I've been taking 2 a day (40mcg, was on 37.5mcg before). Been feeling good considering a hectic week travelling to Wales, South West and Scotland in 6 days!

I've always drank a lot of water. I don't drink tea/coffee (caffeine makes me a little jittery) and rarely have juice/soft drinks (unless it's in a very alcoholic cocktail). Anyhow usually in cooler months my in take is about 4 litres, 5 max. Yesterday I drank about 6.5-7 litres. It's not the most unusual thing but what my colleagues highlighted is if they drank that much they would be off to the loo all day. I don't have that problem.

Is this a water retention thing? Is there anything I should take?

Thanks all x

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Pennyrose, that's excessive water consumption and could be flushing your system of nutrients. 2-3 litres daily is generally recommended.

Excessive thirst and consumption may be a sign of diabetes so I would recommend you have this checked out.

Water retention usually shows as bloating.

• Thanks Clutter

I'm quite bloated and ankles are a bit fat! Spoke to the GP about it a couple of years ago and diabetes test was ok (they tested last year too and all was fine). Might bring it up again!

• There are other reasons why you shouldn't drink that much fluid. I got told off by a hospital consultant for drinking only four litres. I can't remember the explanation but it can actually cause serious problems with your kidneys and hormones.

• Thanks lovely. I just get a very dry mouth and throat and my pee gets really dark if I don't have at least 4litres a day!

• If your pee is colourless, it means you've peed out all your trace minerals and nutrients.

Dry mouth can be a symptom of low thyroid. Un/Under-treated hypos can get very thirsty. Do you have any blood tests to share with us? How are your sodium and potassium levels?

• Ah. That's not good. The thirst can get bad and I have a cold this week that isn't helping.

My last bloods were 2 months ago but I imagine they are much better now.

TSH: 3 (0.5-4.5).

T4: 9 (9-23)

T3: 4 (3.8-6.9)

Feeling much better. Haven't ever had sodium and/or potassium checked. I remember when I first got ill I was craving salt and sometimes I do have bouts of that.

In the process of trying to find a better GP in york so when I move will discuss all with them. Thank you Goose x

• You should definately ask for sodium/potassium tests. The balance has to be just right between those two.

Well, your last labs weren't good, were they? FT4 and FT3 are very, very low. I don't know how you managed to get out of bed in the morning with labs like that! Certainly could explain your thirst.

Salt cravings are a symptoms of low adrenals. A cortisol test would be in order.

Hugs, Grey

• Your water consumption appears to be massively too high.

I suggest that you have a read of this story to understand how serious the issue can be:

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews...

If you need help, I'd hope your GP would be able to do so.

Rod

• Hi Rod

That's quite a horrific tale! And she was only on 6 pints (about 3.4 litres). From as long as I remember I've always drank a lot but intake definitely increased in when I was 19 (about 11 years ago) and in my 2nd year of uni. I'd have pints of water in the union bar while the guys were on beer. I guess it's just become normal.

It only dawned on me the other day that considering how much liquid I drink, I don't need the loo that often! TMI?

Thanks Rod x

• Poor woman was probably mildly hypo. I would never trust anyone that said they were any sort of 'nutritionist'! Been there, done that...

You may also like...