Erfa (or any NDT) overdose advice

Hi thyroid-gurus,

I put up a post yesterday about over-doing it on Erfa. Basically, I thought I might be overdosing on 2 1/2 grains as I had onset of symptoms like diarrhea, nausea, aches, muscle pain, headache and awful fatigue. Today I just took 1/2 grain and the symptoms not only persist but got worse for about 5 hours. Haven't taken any since and I'm now looking for advice on what to do once you suspect you are overdosing NDT? Do you stop taking it completely for a while to let the levels drop, or do you have to reduce the dose slowly to prevent a similar bad impact?

Any advice would be much appreciated if you've experienced the same problems with upping doses.

Thanks,

Jen

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It takes about 2 days for the blood level of T3 to go down. Unless your problem is from a virus or food poisoning, you should be getting better tomorrow.

The ratio of T4 toT3 may be problematic for you. Possibly taking 1 grain of NDT and taking T4 for the balance, like maybe 75 mcg T4 or 62.5 mcg T4 would be a good place to work from.

• Just wondering is 1 grain equal to 60 mg NDT = 75mcg t4?

I'm taking 120 mg NDT and feeling rubbish. Doc suggested I add in T4 but I read on STTM that combining can cause RT3 problems. Any thoughts?

Have been on it about a month an stacking on weight but then it started back when I was on 150 mcg T4. Don't know which way to jump.

Thanks

Jayne

• Jayne22, according to Nature Throid's website for instance,

1 Grain (65 mg) = 38 mcg T4, 9 mcg T3

• Thank you x

• Hi It is important to have a blood test TSH, T4 and FT3. the only way to tell. I was overdosed on armour by a private doctor, more I had the iller I felt. It turned out I was hyper with the same symptoms as hypo, by over dosing.. If i had had bloods done I would have avoided the dangerous results.Safer to under treat than over.

Jackie

• What is the batch number and expiry date of your ERFA?

• Thanks everyone. I'll be getting bloods done soon to check on it all.

Hypopotamus - batch # LF03139A, expiry 31/10/2016.

You may also like...