Ashwaganda or syberian root

Do any of these help for hypothiroid,i.e. hashimoto patinets? I tried syberian root and it caused me from 1st tablet rush of energy, but thet hyperthyroidn feeling, feeling very warm and i stopped, now bought ashwaganda and read this one not good for hypothiroidism as well....any experiences among community here? Thank you ver i must go to sleep:-) this maybe killed my thyroid, not sleeping enough can be source of inflamation to the whole body

15 Replies

• This is a previous link:-

I hope you feel an improvement.

• Hello there Ivy I take Aswagandha and have found it so helpful for my low thyroid....

• I took ashwaganda to help my cortisol levels; I did research beforehand to make sure it was OK for hypos. Have to say it didnt help )-: . My understanding is that its an adaptogen, so very safe.

• Hi ivy77 by Siberian root do you mean ginseng? Agree that not sleeping enough can be a source of all sorts of problems

Have tried ashwaganda but did nothing for me - alas, made insomnia worse

p.s. I am hypo

• Syberian root, it is made me hyperthiroid from 1 tablet within hours, so i concluded better not to take it.....i was reading stuff on immune balance and most hypothyroid patients are th1 dominant, and ashwaganda increas it so i wonder now how it may help then, and many naturopath docs claimed its wonderful, so i bought that too, but on the package it says warning: its not for hypothiroid confused

• Googled rosacea and info. I found stated it was a skin condition, your not the only one who is confused!. Forgive if I misunderstood your reply. Life in general is full of conflicting theories .. Like statistics one can prove or disprove anything according o one's persuasion

Good luck with whatever you try, do let me know how you go.. We're all seekers for the best

• Lol rhodiola rosea, oh sorry for confusion i missspelled it:-) too many new terms for me so i forget, i am forgetfull a lot and am 37 only this is why i want good thyroid hormones:-) withthis rate i would be dementia by 60!

• Thanks for reply! Have tried rhodiola rosea in the past - so long age that I cant remember why (I'm almost 75 so brain cells definitely going - or GONE?) Think it definitely help with whatever

At 37 you're a mere babe and I'm sure memory nothing to worry about Just wait till you hit 50 and are menopausal. I'm assuming you're female ,if male a lot more to be concerned about if you become menopausal. Jesting of course, I was very lucky and sailed through change, memory same -such as it was

• Hello Ivy,

I'm much improved on T3 only after 16 years of increasingly poor conversion of T4.

But I'm left with chronic muscle pain in my arms and legs.

I researched about this kind of 'fibromyalgia' inflammation, and have tried a number of remedies, most of which did evoke 'hyper' symptoms.And I'm on 40mcg of T3- the lowest recommended dose.

The most helpful to me have been Ashwagandha 250mg and Boswellia Formula 500mg.

I took one Ashwagandha at bedtime and felt rather hyper after, so reduced it to half, which has had a calming effect. Now I can manage a whole one.

The Boswellia Formula from Essential Ayurveda is a mixture of anti-inflammatory herbs and has ashwagandha in it. I take 2 with breakfast and have felt the nerve pains considerably reduced this last two months.

I had a backward lurch trying selenium, which sent me on fire with muscle pain.

My neighbour however feels a lot better for it.

Generally I'd say to start with a tiny amount and build up, watching your symptoms all the time.

• Hi Wild Deer, glad that ashwaganda works for you. I used the powder and maybe was a bit too generous with it I find selenium definitely helps me, notice the difference if I forget to take . I have yeast free tabs. - yeasty ones don't suit. but if I remember take e a couple of brazil nuts instead Interesting how different we all are (it's what makes us human after all)

• I tried 200 mcg selenium too, and i felt so tired after it, like i did not take my meds for thyroid. So i stopped and everyone claims selenium is essential for conversion from t4 to t 3, and then i read small warning that if you are low on iodine it may make it worse!! So maybe i am low on iodine, but after reading all the conflicting ideas on iodine i dont want to supplement that.....

I had joint painand PMS where i felt like i am having fever, so inflamed!! And it all went away from chnage in the diet! Increasing satured fats, decreasing unsaturated and polyunsaturated wich seem to be the worst and causing i switched to sort of paleo diet....this made benefits...but my ft3 is worst will try combined therapy!.......

Maybe there is no cure for this , but scary thing is autoimune conditions can go together, i do notice i have issues with blood sugar lvl, i start sweating when my blood sugar goes down, and it goes down for no reason, like when my metabolism is slow...i just have a feleing i am not converting efficiently food into energy....and i should have slim waste but i dont have it becasue of hashi........and things improved a lot when i took betaine hcl + pepsine, it was magic for 6 weeks:-) then it stopped working, and it makes sense that hypothiroid people have low stomach acid, becasue after i eat i feel like i will digest for hours lol:-) and like everyone will notice i just ate:-) ...for those 6 weeks while betaine was working wonders i felt like i finally started to metabolite food properly no heavy feelings no bloated, no water retention

• I use about a tsp of Ashwaghanda a day. It has definitely helped my adrenals although there is a way to go. No hyper symptoms. This week I managed to take off my fleece without being cold TWICE!! Everyone else is in strappy tops or tiny T shirts (or no tops).

• Which product Ashwaghanda do you take |Angel_of_the_North please?

• Ashwagandha Powder (100% organic)100 grams from Gopala Ayurveda

probably bought from Amazon or Ebay.

• Thanks

You may also like...