As you may know, I self treat with NDT having been symptomatic of hypothyroidism for years and finally reaching a TSH of 5.4 (2.2-4.8) and FT4 of 10.4 (12.5-28.5). I'm feeling heaps better on 2.5 grains of NDT and my GP is accepting of my decision to self-treat rather than try a low dose of levo to get me back under 4.8 TSH.
My mum recently got back from a sunshine holiday, where after the flight, her legs and feet swelled up dramatically, causing great concern. She is 72, and sufferes from Parkinson's disease and Atrial Fibrilation, and so was sent for a series of blood tests to check her heart, kidney and liver, along with a full blood count. She too has been symptomatic of hypothyroidism for years, but some symptoms mimic those of Parkinson's and AF so it has always been hard to distinguish which causes what.
She phoned for the blood test results this morning and as told her TSH was 7.5 (0.5-4) and that she would need to come in for more tests in a month to see whether or not there was a problem with her thyroid. She has been certain that her thyroid has been a problem for the last 5 years, with very extreme symptoms of choking attacks, stiffness, intolerance to the heat and cold, fatigue and slow movement and slurred speech, non of which seem attributable to her medical conditions.
She is too afraid to self treat as I do, but clearly they aren't planning on treating her now, when her TSH is already 7.5. They haven't tested her antibodies either, so it seems pretty careless to take a wait and see approach with that reading. I'm not sure what I can do, or what I should advise her to say to her GP. Can anyone advise please?