Has anyone else been over active without knowing then years later become under active?

I was diagnosed as having an underactive thyroid in March with a TSH >100 which I am currently being treated with 150mcg levothyroxine. I got a print out of all my previous blood tests I've had done over the years and back in 2005 it shows that I was just overactive with a TSH 0.37 (0.4-5.0) has anyone else had this or knows what it means? (If anything)

Last edited by

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It is not uncommon for people with Hashimoto's to have had times where TSH is a touch on the low side. Indeed, variations can occur in people over the years, have a look at this table:

Table 1. Presentations of Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis

Euthyroidism and goiter

Subclinical hypothyroidism and goiter

Primary thyroid failure

Hypothyroidism

Adolescent goiter

Painless thyroiditis or silent thyroiditis

Postpartum painless thyrotoxicosis

Alternating hypo- and hyperthyroidism

thyroidmanager.org/chapter/...

Have you been tested for Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies or Thyroglobulin antibodies?

Rod

• No Rod, there is nothing on my printout of either of those being tested. Do you think I should ask for them to be done on my next bloods? x

• Well unless you have something else going on, it does seem likely that you have autoimmune thyroid disease in the form of Hashimoto's - and a positive TPO antibody test is a strong indicator of that. Around 80% of hypothyroid people in the USA and the UK seem to have Hashimoto's - so it is pretty common. Knowing it can sometimes help to explain some of the oddities.

Rod

• Hi personally l don't think that you were overactive at that tsh of 0.37. A lot of healthy people have a tsh of under 1, and different labs have different ranges. Did you feel hyper back then? You may have been hyper but maybe that was your "normal" tsh.

Jo xx

• Hi Jo, yes I went to the doctor with exhaustion and was put on anti depressants, I also lost 5stone that year but have since piled it all back on!! x

• I have just been diagnosed with Graves Disease have had tsh readings o.94_1.2.I have had severe symptons of hyper,lost 5 kgs now waiting on more tests results Have started on gluten free diet& low iodine.I was only taking 50mcgs Eutroxsig.I know now Tsh tests are unreliable as it has taken 5 mths of hell for a holistic Gp to listen to me.meignore Tsh

You may also like...