The pain has become to much

I cant cope with the stonach cramps anymore this yr is become extremely worse my gp wont give me anything for it as im on muscle relaxants for a back problem ive had ibs for a few yrs now ive found potatoes make it worse especially boiled i dont know why this us my partner thinks im mad but they do im currently not on any meds for my ibs i was on antidpressants and still am before i had ibs i also had a few major surgerys before this i had 2 c sections a spleenectomty a hysterectomy and aslo a few lasaostopys but nothing compares to the pain im suffering from my ibs its so bad i cant even stand up straight ehen it starts i dont leave the house when it starts i also find that the smell is embarrassing im ashamed to say my friend visited while i was having a flare up and i was blaming the smell on my poor dog

6 Replies

• I have the same problem minus the smell.

Being celiac as well does not help, I am very carefull with diet and I too get worse problems with potatoes.

My stomach and belly are so huge by the time I go to bed I look very pregnant.....

I have been given the usually antispasmodics but nothing works, no pain killers work, I get about 2 - 3 hours sleep a night.......

My anxiety comes from nursing a sick hubby with cancer.

I would be gratefull if anyone can suggest a pain killer or medicine that will give me some rest.

• try food elimination diet such as FODMAP's. I'm having some success and am excited that my GI doctor referred me to a nutritionist who knows about this.

• Have you looked at other high carbohydrate foods? Do they affect you too? Might be worth keeping a diary and make a note of what you eat and how you feel.

• I can well understand as I have been suffering too since childhood and now I am retired. I find I have to watch my diet as foods and combinations which were tolerable can suddenly cause flareups . Probiotic yoghurt has helped me in the past. I have also started prebiotics which helped my bloating but find I can't take them when having a bad flareup with diarrhoea.

I found CBT very helpful for the anxiety. Relaxation and breathing exercises practiced regularly really helped to ease my symptoms. I also found self help books very beneficial when suffering from acute anxiety .The best one I found was "THE ANXIETY AND PHOBIC WORKBOOK" BY E. Bourne available from Amazon. Some libraries stock some of his books too. My GI referred me to a CBT Therapist for the IBS. I can't afford to go regularly but a GP can make referrals too. Some have counselling services attached to their surgery.

Recently I started Tai Chi and I notice cramps and bloating can settle during and after a class.So I 'm going to keep at this. A medic also recommended yoga .

For me there have been good phases and bad. I always try to remember a good spell might be on the way on days when I am bad.

I hope things go well.

• Hi Maryelle

I too went into a really bad faze while nursing my husband with cancer, caused by the worry and aprehension. this was 4 years ago [my husband sadly passed away]. Since then the Fodmaps diet has come about and the taking of pro-biotics and the two combined seem to be helping me greatly, I also cook all my foods from scratch and make sure I keep clear of onions, garlic or anything from that family i.e shallots, spring onions chives etc.

hoping this is of help

• I am now taking probiotic tabs, does this mean I should take prebiotics as well ?

Thank you Hillyfilly, I am on constant alert with hubby, he is is in depression at the moment which we have only had once with him, he is a very positive man usually, he is just tired of more anxiety.

I will check on the garlic etc difficult when cooking for the family not to put garlic in dishes like curry etc.

I have discovered I can cope with sweet potatoes instead of "usual " pots. and of course they are full of nutrition...

You may also like...