Some encouraging results from chemo

I've retired due to my prostate cancer - can no longer work. I wanted to work for another four years, but there it is. I can concentrate on home and fighting illness and the cognitive and other effects of illness and treatments.

As I've mentioned in a previous post, my cancer was not caught in time for prostate surgery. I was already at stage four when diagnosed at 48. I'm 51 now.

After five chemotherapy treatments with taxotere, my PSA of 143.0 (not a typo) dropped almost 30 units to 114.0. Hadn't imagined I would feel good about such a number.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I'm sorry the illness interrupted your plan. Retirement is something I think of often. I'm a lawyer, and I'm concerned about cognitive function interfering with my ability to do my work. Was cognitive function the driver of your retirement, or are you having pain and/or other issues?

• Permanent somatic stuff as well as side effects of different types of treatment.

With enough rest and time and calm, I can get through what I need to, but focus and continuous attention as well as short and long-term memory issues make life harder. It varies hour by hour. Sometimes I'm fairly clear, other times I'm foggy.

I have permanent damage to my hip from the cancer; I can no longer drive long distances. My unpredictable pain from bladder spasms and the risk of dizzy spells makes the rest of driving unsafe.

I have effects from three years of testosterone deprivation as well as chemo effects. Long list of effects.

Don't know how I'd be doing if I were alone. I have a husband I've been with for twelve years. I have family and friends of different sorts. We're lucky to have a network. Doesn't make things easy, but does make things easier.

• I am so sorry that you have had/are having such a difficult go of it. Wishing you nothing but the best going forward.

You may also like...