More advise please?
(Please see my last post for full history)
Saw my GP this morning and took Mum with me for support, which was needed and greatly appreciated.
I asked the GP if we could discuss restarting my B12 injections as although my B12 levels were 'within range' at 272 I was symptomatic with fatigue, shortness of breath on exertion, no energy, twitching in muscles and pins and needles in my hands and feet, to name a few main symptoms, there's many more. I explained to the GP about my B12 deficiency last year and how my injections were stopped after the loading dose injections due to my levels being normal again. I explained my b12 levels had been dropping since and my symptoms were gradually getting worse over time.
He asked about having the intrinsic factor test and I said yes which came back normal and he said then it's not an absorption problem. I explained my diet was good and not vegan or vegetarian and that this test is not always correct.
He went on to say that the guidelines have changed recently and he can only prescribed b12 injections for someone with low levels and pernicious anaemia. I understand the guidelines are for review but I was not aware that this was the case and after reviewing many links to healthcare websites I was under the understanding that the clinical picture is the most important factor in assessing a deficiency as there was no gold standard to define deficiency and treatment should not be delayed to avoid neurological impairment. I told him this and he asked me where this information is from and I said the British society of haematology. Is he correct in his information about guidelines changed already?
He went on to prescribe me oral cyanocobalamin 50mcg 3 times a day and 5 mg folic acid once a day and refused my request for injections saying the guideline is to try oral medication first.
I wrote a letter to my GP which I gave to him during the appointment which outlined my symptoms, the physical and emotional effect my symptoms have on me and my requests. He said he would read my letter, double check the guidelines and get back to me by the end of the week. Shall I take the medication or wait? I don't see how they will help as I have been taking a multi vitamin for past 10 months and levels are still dropping.
I asked to be referred to haematology and use my private healthcare work have provided me and he did not acknowledge this statement and explained how it was not related to money issues as to why he would not give me the injections and said 'it does not come out of my wages'.
I asked to be signed off work till the end of the week till he does his research and he signed me off for two weeks!!
My mum had to interject at times and say how badly I'm coping and she finds it unbelievable that with my symptoms he was just going to let me go off home whilst he researches his guidelines.
Sorry it's long but any advice would be greatly appreciated.