I'm new to the forum and would like a little advice.
A little bit of history for me, I have always had back pain for as long as I can remember (my mum says it's because I used to lift the crates in the pub we lived in as a child). The pain was nothing I couldn't handle and kind of got on with it for many years. Around 5 1/2 years ago I knew that it had got worse and I'd been to see my doctor a couple of times about it but nothing worked. I asked him if he would refer me to a back consultant as I have Bupa and he did. I saw Mr Mclaren at Spire Portsmouth and after physio didn't work we decided on a treatment of epidural spinal injections. These worked like a treat for 3 1/2 years but then the pain came back and so I had the injections again. This time I only got relief for 4 months. I went back to Mr M and he referred me to a pain management clinic to see what they could do. Four different pain relief injections including discs and facet joints (the last one included radiofrequency something or other) and I'm no better. Although saying that, I don't now get that terrible searing pain when the back totally locks anymore, just constant pain.
Dr Bayliss (pain management) has referred me to Mr Dare who I saw last wek. He thinks that the best option will be disc replacement to my lower discs (S1/L5 and L5/L4) although he's hoping he can get away with just one. He wants me to have another discography done and a bone density scan to ensure that the disc replacement is viable.
If thats all ok, then he can probably get me in for the surgery by the end of March. Whilst I was hoping not to need surgery it was pretty inevitable as I have exhausted all other options.
It's a bit of a scary time. My quality of life is pretty poor at the moment, unable to walk far, go to the gym, stand for long periods of time etc. We discussed the possible outcomes of the surgery and the feeling from Mr Dare is that I should be much better by June which is 3 months after the possible surgery date.
I want to be realistic on my recovery time and not expect too much too soon. We are going on holiday to Greece in May, should we postpone/cancel the holiday (or the surgery)? It's a relaxing holiday so I won't be doing much but even so...
Any advice very gratefully received.