MRI showed Compression on spine

My grandad has just received his MRI results and they have found a compression on his spine which explains the agony he's been in

He's on painkillers and steroids and is staying in hospital. The consultants are seeing him tomorrow.

I am obviously really worried and upset. I am assuming it must be a Tumour. 'Most stuff I've read has said spinal cancer is normally mets from cancer of lung breast or prostrate. My grandad had chest x rays and ct scan clear

and I would have thought they'd pick up a primery cancer elsewhere. Therefore I'm assuming if it's a spinal cancer it is a primary source. As he's 84 I don't know if he's viable for surgery and what that actually means in terms of prognosis.

Any advice or experience in this would be really appreciated

Feel helpless right now

Thanks

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Compression on the spine is usually from a prolapsed disc; of course I can't be 100% correct but this is generally the case. Whilst a prolapsed disc isn't great it's still much better than a tumour.

Until you know formally what's going on, do try and stop imagining all the things it could be....

Best of luck xx

• As noted in another post, there are various causes of spinal pressure, most benign. Hoping you get the info you need as soon as possible so your granddad can get relief.

• Same as other previous posts, compression isn't necessarily cancer. It could be stenosis or bulging discs. If he has had clear chest xray then I can't see it being lung cancer. Please don't worry more than needed until you find out the true cause. Wishing your grandad all the best x

• Oh no might be worth waiting to see what it is first , may involve a opp hope all goes well

You may also like...