Epidural steroid- pain worse pain better?

Hi guys,

I recently had an epidural steroid 3 days ago in regard to a buldging disc. It has increased my nerve pain in feet and I have been waking upon sweats last night. Has any of you found that initially pain is

worse and then slowly after a few week the steroid helps.

I have also had a steroid injection 5 weeks and helped my pain so thought this one would do the same.

Any experience s would be great. Thank you.

6 Replies

• Hi, I didn't have pain after my injection I just ached for a few days! Then I felt the benefits of it.. Maybe phone the pain management clinic and tell them.

• Worse for a few days - then rapidly got better thereafter - no further changes after 4 weeks - so at 4 weeks, for me, it is was good as it was going to get.

• The sweating is likely to come from the steroids and yes the pain can get worse initially as your body absorbs the steroids. It usually get better in a day or two.

Both these things happened when I got my injections

• I too have bulging disc. My first epidural started working immediately but wore off completely within 2 weeks. My second didn't do anything the first few days to a week but has then completely got rid of my severe hip, leg and foot pain, just dull back ache which seems to alter but now at week 4 and praying it carries on working! Good luck, if your pain in leg continues to worsen, def ring your pain team.

• I had one last month for back problems and I had worse pain right after also and my right leg went almost completely numb. I sadly didn't have any relief from mine but glad yours worked. The sweats could be from the steroids diffusing into your system. That I'd call the Dr and ask about.

• I had an epidural nearly 2 months ago and the pain disappeared straight away. Hopefully no more spasms. I thought I could come off the Gabapentin and Baclofen - the GP told me it would be fine, when I came off them completely one day I had terrible nerve pains down both legs at night so I have started them again, not quite as many as before.

Anyone else experience this?

You may also like...