We have just had devastating news that my wife’s oc has now spread to her lungs and liver. This is after nearly 6 months on Topotecan. Last year she was on Carboplatin which she also had after the cancer appeared in 2008 (early detection following ruptured cyst). The Carbo treatment stopped working towards the end of her treatment last September and her cancer marker was rising rapidly. At this point she was not offered any other treatment other than being given Tamoxifen and told to come back in January. During the next couple of months we tried to arrange a second opinion, but Jackie’s doctor seemed to have no idea how to fix this up, Jackie was just told to try and work things out with the oncologist at the city hospital. We never did get the second opinion but we did see another new doctor who decided on the Topotecan. After the first couple of cycles things seemed to be getting better and Jackie’s C125 was dropping all the time. It had dropped so much that she was told she would not receive the scan half way through the treatment (what a big mistake that was). The treatment finished on the 25th May. We were expecting a scan within a couple of weeks of this but the doctor never booked it (blamed it on a computer error), consequently Jackie did not get her scan until this Monday 18th June. The meeting took place yesterday 24th to reveal that the cancer has spread considerably. My questions are;
Where is the best place to get a second opinion
Can Jackie get Taxol/Avastin combo, she was told it wasn’t available
We have Spanish residential but have never registered for the Spanish health system,
If we do go on the system in Spain, how long would it be before the NHS find out,
We need to keep our options open.
Jackie has very little time left and I feel that we urgently need a second opinion, we haven’t really been given any options from Nottingham City Hospital.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.